Installed SP2..now rig wont boot.

2Fresh

2[H]4U
wtf? I did the windows update deal with SP2, upon restarting ...well, it wont restart. Just keeps rebooting. I hate to have to format, and sys restore does not go far enough back. Anything I can do to fix this in safe mode?

Try pressing F8 before windows start booting, then disable the option to restart when crash so you can see whats causing the reboots
oldmx

Run a spyware scan, and clean any malware off before trying it again. Or, for better results, slipstream is into your XP CD using Autostreamer, and do a fresh install. Either way, you're asking for trouble if you don't have SP2 by now.

djnes said:
Run a spyware scan, and clean any malware off before trying it again. Or, for better results, slipstream is into your XP CD using Autostreamer, and do a fresh install. Either way, you're asking for trouble if you don't have SP2 by now.
agreed

more than likely your current installation is corrupt somewhere. Have you had that install for quite some time? Go through a lot of configurations/changes & more? Had spyware and/or viruses?

Only machines I have EVERY had a problem with installing SP2 on, is machines that answer yes to those questions.

Fresh install of XP, so I know all was fine. I have not had any issues without it....so looks like I dont need it. :)

2Fresh said:
I have not had any issues without it....so looks like I dont need it. :)
That could be the most ricidulous comment ever made on the forums. Take a look at the security patches included, and then tell us you don't need it. :rolleyes:

As further proof you have much to read about in the security area, a Windows system connected to the internet can be compromised within minutes with various types of malware. So, even if it's a new build, that means very little.

Ezekial said:
um, yeah, ok
Seriously...that's like saying I don't need to wear seatbelts when I am in a car because I wasn't in an accident in the past. :eek:

Check the MSKB. There's several articles relating to constant reboots after SP2 installs.

[H]EMI_426 said:
Check the MSKB. There's several articles relating to constant reboots after SP2 installs.
Old issues, yes, and all of what have fixes.

Originally Posted by 2Fresh - I have not had any issues without it....so looks like I dont need it.

Originally Posted by djnes - That could be the most ricidulous comment ever made on the forums.

:D LOL Thanks guys, I needed a laugh today. ;)

[H]EMI_426 said:
Wow. Maybe that's one of the main reasons I directed the OP to go take a look there...
Whoops, I guess we were supposed to assume constant reboots were the only possible problem with SP2? :rolleyes:

djnes said:
Whoops, I guess we were supposed to assume constant reboots were the only possible problem with SP2? :rolleyes:
I would hope he'd know to search for more words than just SP2. :rolleyes: I'm not sure why you're bent out of shape. If he'd have done just a bit of digging in the KB he probably would have solved his own problem.

Attitudes like yours are the reason why I never post in the non-*nix part of the OS forum.

[H]EMI_426 said:
Attitudes like yours are the reason why I never post in the non-*nix part of the OS forum.
Which is why you miss out on the reasons why such attitudes are justified in the non-Unix sections. Spend more time in this subforum and you'll get it. I'm not dumb enough to make assumptions about what you may do for a living, but if you were a sys admin over a network of Windows boxes, you'd share my viewpoint as well, I'd think.

I think what djines is saying is: If you are running Xp without sp2, you might as well keep a bottle of booty lube next to your keyboard, because sooner or later you are going to take the high hard one up the tailpipe.. Sooner more likely than later.. And since one compromised pc can end up equaling many infected boxes or spam out the a$$ in the case of borged spam machines....... Well you get the point.. PLEASE, PLEASE use sp2.. Thank you..

GORANKAR said:
I think what djines is saying is: If you are running Xp without sp2, you might as well keep a bottle of booty lube next to your keyboard, because sooner or later you are going to take the high hard one up the tailpipe
:D That's a lot more graphic than I had in mind, but it definitely gets the point across!

Originally Posted by GORANKAR:I think what djines is saying is: If you are running Xp without sp2, you might as well keep a bottle of booty lube next to your keyboard, because sooner or later you are going to take the high hard one up the tailpipe
:D HA!
Two laughs in two days from the same thread! Win OS + user = medicine for the soul. ;)

i had a similar problem with a system with a ATI card, booted into safe mode, removed the drivers, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers and it worked perfect.

I'm all for people running SP2. I strongly encourage it. A good number of the articles in the KB mention uninstalling SP2, applying another fix and reinstalling SP2. I'm still not sure why you jumped all over referring someone to the KB.

I'm not sure what "attitude" you saw in my post. I was pointing him to what generally is a fairly good source of information to at least start on solving his own problem. Just cause the KB doesn't have all the answers doesn't mean you shouldn't look at it. I generally try to help people help themselves instead of just handing them an answer, but hey, if that's what you're used to from being a Windows admin, more power to ya. :)

No, I'm not a Windows admin. I'm a FreeBSD/Linux/Mac admin...The Mac thing is a new thing, and I really don't like it all that much. Just cause I'm not a "professional" Windows admin doesn't mean my suggestion wasn't valid. Since he's just getting around to SP2, his problem may have been one of those "old" issues in the KB. What's the harm in telling the OP to look there?

I think I'll just stick to the *nix forum. Generally speaking it's a lot friendlier place.

Back