Installed SP2, can't shutdown.

Menelmarar

Supreme [H]ardness
Last weekend was upgrading my Dad's videocard, and remembered that I had been hesitant o install SP2. Ususally i like to do Service Packs on a clean installation or even better from a slipstreamed installation CD.

Well I figured he had gone long enough (too long) without all the security updates (He uses mozilla so it wasn't to big of a deal fixing up IE) . After installing SP2 the first problem I noticed is that whenever you try to goto windowsupdate.microsoft.com IE locks up. No matter wha you do I tried rebooting multiple times nad trying it, refuses to load hte page, just puts IE in some sort of infinite loop but not really since it doesn't use any cpu power.

Second thing is that whenever you click the start button and then shutdown, explorer, the tasbar, desktop items and explorer windows vanish and never pops up the shutdown dialog.

He can still shutdown by dont ctrl+alt+del and using that shutdown button. It just seems wierd that SP2 broke explorer and IE that badly. I tried rerunning the SP2 installer but it wouldn't do a reinstall.

Interesting. I've installed SP2 on numerous systems and never had a problem with it. I prefer to do it with a clean install but I've installed it on a system that had been running XP for quite a while and there was not one problem.

Have you tried maybe running memtest86+ for a while just to make sure the memory is ok? How about temps?

Maybe you should do a complete format and reinstall of everything.

Back