Installed SLI; PC now runs very slow

hey guys, i'm having an issue with my computer so i was wondering if anyone could help me here :)

i'll start from the beginning...
i purchased a couple new parts; chassis, psu, second video card and sound card.
i spent today moving everything from the old chassis to the new and installing the second video card to run sli as well as the sound card.

boots up fine and everything works but it has just become very very slow. opening applications, listening to music (it pauses in between a song then takes a minute or two to load the rest of the song) and just opening folders (it takes forever to scan!)

i have tried resetting the cmos; did nothing. (as i read on some other forums, that had solved the same 'sounding' issue)

i thought perhaps because it was overheating? my video card runs very hot ever since i went from dual 19in (1440x900) to 23in (1920x1080

so yea... any ideas?

here's the list of my parts...

m2n4-sli mobo
amd x2 6000+
bfg 9800gtx+ oc (x2)
ocz pc2-6400 ddr2 (fatality)
western digital 150gb hd
seagate 500gb hd
creative xtreme gamer sound card.

antec quattro 850w psu

giving an update-

i uninstalled both the sound card and second video card
rebooted the pc and works like before, flawlessly.

reinstalled the sound card, rebooted and works just as well as before.
uninstalled the sound card, reinstalled the video card and the pc takes forever to boot!

Try the other video card by itself. Maybe it has a problem.

This.

I'd also try uninstalling the drivers, running driver cleaner to clean everything out, and then reinstalling the drivers. after you do that, reinstall the second video card. it sounds like a driver problem with SLi only.

awsome, i'll give that a try guys.
i did already try swapping out both cards and using them as singles and they work fine, so thats not the issue!

i'll keep you posted.

i gave it a go- uninstalled all nvidia drivers, used driver clean and still doesn't work. i can have the two video cards plugged in connected properly and isn't slow anymore but sli is being recognized.

sigh. i think i've tried everything under the sun!

i really don't think it is defective though, i've tested the new video card with 3dmark and gamed with it and it works just fine!

wow two 9800gtx+ cards with a 6000 X2 cpu? not really a good combo since even just one of those cards is already slightly bottlenecked with that cpu. :eek:

yea.. i have an i7 920 and dx58so mobo in the mail arriving shortly, but thats besides the point. i just wanted to have things running so i could compare.

i had the same problem with my 9800gt's it's weird because my 9600gso's sli'd fine. the lagging occurred regardless of whether sli was enabled or disabled.

i had the same problem with my 9800gt's it's weird because my 9600gso's sli'd fine. the lagging occurred regardless of whether sli was enabled or disabled.

how did you resolve the issue?

i've been reading intensively on this issue and one possible issue was that the bio versions of the video cards were not the same.. i haven't check that out yet- but i'll give it a go soon

Removed Flamebait -Oldie

:rolleyes:

just seeing if you have tryed runing the seconed card in the seconed slot with the first card out, maybe its the slot causeing issues.. , only other thing i can think of would be an irq conflict (in fact i would almost be willing to bet money thats the issue... almost) and yeah check the bios's on the cards, could be it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back