installed os on 3gb sata port then changed the ssd drive to 6gb port

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
I forgot my mb only had 2 6gb sata port so I installed the ssd on 3gb sata port so I thought I might as well switch the drive to 6gb sata port - and os will not boot, I even changed the boot seq again and nothing, won't load or just sit even tried repair mbr and f12 to boot into the ssd nothing - ideas? when I switched by the 3gb port it booted up fine again

thanks in advance

Most likely answer is bad 6gb ports. Does another drive work on those ports?

Most likely answer is you don't have installed the drivers for the other ports. Give more info on your hardware and what you're doing.

yup other drives work in that 6gb port

I have the gigabyte z68ma-d3h-b with 2 6gb ports and 4 3gb ports

I have win 8.1 pro, with no partition setup, straight 240gb ssd, 3tb, 2tb, 2tb drives
thanks

hmm could be some boot files on one of the other hd's that it was trying to boot from, you could boot from the windows 8 dvd and select advanced startup under recovery options and then select startup repair (if im remembering correctly) that may fix it.

What happens if you unplug all the drives except the OS one ?

Well, in that case I would just plug the SSD to the 6Gb/s port, disconnect all the other drives and do a fresh install of the OS again. To eliminate headaches ;)

yup that is what I did! unplugged everything again and reinstalled windows - but this time 10gb less after install 183gb before now it is 173gb
oh wells it works now though thanks all!

That's because windows made a small restore/boot partition on the SSD. Previously it was probably on another drive, leading to your problems.

Back