Installed new video card now getting black screen when games load

jmnovak

Weaksauce
So swapped out my GTX 1070 for a Vega 64 and now when i load any game its loads for a sec or two then I get black screen and have to reboot.

When I did the swap I booted into safe mode uninstalled old driver, etc. Installed new card/drivers. Ran a few games, and benchmarks and was running great. Went to bed woke up and went to mess around with it some more and now games start loading then go to a black screen and stay that way till I reboot. I can still run Heaven, Valley, 3dmark no issues. But games nothing.

At first I thought maybe it was a Steam issue so I uninstalled steam and video drivers and reinstalled them. But it didnt fix issue. Plus I loaded an old game from disc drive (Far Cry 2) and does same thing.

AMD drivers will tell me Wattman defaulted it settings because of crash but I havent changed them from default.

Any ideas?

remove anything like afterburner/rivatuner, run DDU and then reinstall the newest drivers only. see how that goes.

Did you check the power cables? Are both of them in all the way and can you try with individual cables (meaning not 1 cable split)?

Ill try removing stuff and reinstall. Power cables are good, no splits, two individual cables. it pulls 1640mhz in 3dmark so didnt think it would be power issue.

Ill try removing stuff and reinstall. Power cables are good, no splits, two individual cables. it pulls 1640mhz in 3dmark so didnt think it would be power issue.
well it could be, sorta. there are several threads around here about v64's triggering over-current protection in several different psus even though they have enough wattage. have a spare to try, preferably a different brand?

well it could be, sorta. there are several threads around here about v64's triggering over-current protection in several different psus even though they have enough wattage. have a spare to try, preferably a different brand?

I see. Yeah I have a 750w Cosair laying around. You would think a 1300w P/S would be ok. Willing to check everything though.

So I swapped power cables from on PS from VGA1 and VGA1(two seperate plugs) to VGA1 and VGA2. Plus I deleted afterburner/rivatuner and rebooted. Seems to have fixed issue so far. Ran two games no issues. More test to come.

Clocks-1695/1100
Timespy test -Score 7887 Graphic score 8069

good idea with spreading out the load over vga 1/2, didn't think of that. hope that sorts it for good.

So things seem stable after some tweaking I have it locked in @
Core 1690avg. @ 66c
Mem 1100avg. @ 73c

Card runs pretty cool so heat shouldnt be issue. Its been awhile since I have had a AMD card so re-learning the in/outs of tweaking it. I tried undervolting but all I was getting was same speeds with random crashes. I'll get into messing with powerplay tables and bios flashes after I mess with it some play around some and get caught up on info.
Screenshot (3301).png

Back