Installed New PSU - Nothing

TFM

Gawd
About a month ago, i purchased a PSU from someone on the AT forums that was a reviewed PSU.

PSU - Tagan Silver Guardian X 1000W

For reasons that aren't important, i hadn't had an opportunity to install it until tonight. So after installing the new PSU, i turned the computer on and got nothing. Some LEDs tried to light up (on fans) and i thought i heard something trying to start - but nothing.

A mobo LED stays lit, as well as a red LED on the back of the PSU.

Knowing this was a reviewed PSU, i can't imagine that it would be defective. What could be the problem?

So far i've...
Double checked the PSU connection to the mobo (including the 4-pin)
Checked for 110/220 - no option on the PSU to change it
Switched the power feed to the hard drive with another one
Checked to make sure the outlet works
Shorted the power switch pins on the mobo
Maybe something else - i'm very frustrated and scared that i just lost $150

Here is my system:
Mobo: SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 (Soyo)
CPU: P4 3.0c (Stock Cooling)
RAM: 1.5 Gb PC3200 (3x512)
Video: BBATI X850XT
Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
HD: Western Digital 160 GB PATA
Optical: BenQ DVD-ROM (can't remember model), Generic 52x CD-ROM
Floppy: 3 1/2" Floppy Drive
NIC: Generic 10/100 NIC

Before, i had an Antec TP 480 attached to the system and everything worked just fine. I shut it down, took out the Antec, put in the Tagan, and nothing.

Can anyone think of something that i'm missing?

Thanks,
Chris

PS - i know the Tagan is overkill for this system, but i dind't really buy it for this system, i bought it for my next one i will eventually build and was simply buying the case and PSU early as those usually don't fluctuate too much in prices and can be used for a long time.

EDIT:
To update - i connected the PSU to another computer and got nothing there as well

OK - another update - i tested the PSU by putting an unrolled keychain (couldn't find a paper clip) in the green and black spots and when i plugged in the PSU the PSU powered the LED fan i had it connected to - does this mean the PSU is NOT dead?

Just an update - i connected the PSU to another computer and got nothing

As far as testing the PSU with a paper clip, i have no multimeter - but in the other article it stated that i could test it while it was plugged in and if the fans started spinning then it was fine? Is that correct Jonny?

BTW - thanks for responding Jonny!

Just an update - i connected the PSU to another computer and got nothing

As far as testing the PSU with a paper clip, i have no multimeter - but in the other article it stated that i could test it while it was plugged in and if the fans started spinning then it was fine? Is that correct Jonny?

If you paper clip it and don't even get the fan spinning the you know it's NOT fine.

OK - another update - i tested the PSU by putting an unrolled keychain (couldn't find a paper clip) in the green and black spots and when i plugged in the PSU the PSU powered the LED fan i had it connected to - does this mean the PSU is NOT dead? And if it does -then what else could be the problem?

i have officially ruled the PSU out as the problem - i hooked it up to another mobo (the same one i thought i had it hooked up to earlier - must have had a problem with teh hook up earlier) and it works.

But now the old Antec won't power up with my main mobo either

So where does that leave me? And to what degree might hte CPU be the problem?

Anyone have any ideas? I've worked all hte way down the troubleshooting page JonnyGURU left

So you've actually a pulled the board from the case and tried to power it up w/ nothing attached but a CPU and HSF?

OK - now i have more intersting news...

i just tried one more time to get the PSU to start up with the board still on the table. But i tried the old Antec PSU, hooked it up, and it worked!

But then i realized that i had only attached the original 20 pin and not the extra 4 pin attachment. When i then added the 4 pin, i got nothing

Does this indicate that the problem is with the 4 pin holder on the mobo itself? Is this something that is absolutely necessary?

Chris

Are you sure you have the correct 4 pins? Are you adding the 4-pins w/ one orange, one yellow, one black and one red to the 20-pin connector or the one with two yellows and two blacks?

Initially, i used the 4 that were attached to the 20 pin - until i realized that's not how i had it with the Antec - since then, i've been attaching the 2 yellow and 2 black (figured it out last night) - is it possible that i blew that connector on the mobo when i initially put in the wrong set of 4 pins?

Back