Installed new hardware, major problems

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
read this first

First off, i tried repairing the install of windows and it'd get to 35min remaining, and half way through installing devices at which point it'd just sit there, forever. Next thing i tried was a fresh install of windows, this worked. I booted windows and it crashed...booted again, tried windows update. it just was not stable. It'd keep hard-locking. One more time i installed some updates, rebooted. When i came back it pretty much instantly froze and now the system will not even post.

I have no idea what to do now...

I ordered an asus a8nsli premium, silverstone 680w psu, evga 7800gt, and some crucial ballistix. It looked like the motherboard wasn't sealed in the bag, aren't they usually taped? Seems like it wasn't even brand new. thanks tigerdirect!

Another concern i have is the psu. Do all 680w psu's make the lights dim a tad? It also makes a small tick sound, or something like it when you turn it on.

So it will not post. All the fans spin, the hd spins but the monitor doesn't come on. Nor does it beep saying "all is ok". This is a major pain. What do i RMA? Motherboard, psu? Both? All of it? I'm not sure if the psu is what caused this...The last time i Rma'd a board, it did the same thing, only it never booted when i got it. Wouldn't post, fans would spin thats all

Is there a chance it killed my $500 opteron 175? Does anyone have a suggestion? :(

I also have a really bad feeling about the RA. One time i purchased something online, sold as refurbished. When i got it, it didn't work. (it was an amplifier). I sent it back, they claimed it was damaged during shipping, end of story file a damage claim with UPS....over a year later i got 1/3 of what i paid... $100 on a $300 item. Seems all too similar to this situation. :( I really don't want to get screwed again. Looks like that vendor doesn't even have a website anymore either...

I've tried clearing cmos, many times. I'll try swapping the memory though... It's very hard to get your hand in the case with that scythe cooler, it's huge

I had something like that happen to me, under different conditions... I added a newer card (Rad 9200), then my sys would freeze (low power? had like 275w, but 2 hd, 2 opticals, stc).
I then UNDER-clocked the chip (was XP 2400 to XP 1800). was working fine, then I got new PSU, and changed back to XP 2400, then the nightmares began.. the install freeze, or the win freeze (after like 5 min). could be voltage on the cpu, or maybe the mobo itself. (had to keep it at 1800, and ran fine...) then fried(?) chip while cleaning heatsink..lol (see sig)

yeah. but when installing win, or instaled...freezes, so I ran it on 1800xp. till now..
hmm, no post.. that seems like a mobo function, might be the case that mobo got over-fried, since you said it USED to go to post, and just freeze. (in my case, I was told it was mobo voltage or something like that).

U said you had the option to RMA both?, might as well, just to be safe. do you have another PSU to test with (bare-bone) to se it does the same thing, if still same then PS should be ok, but mobo is in question. (I assume the chip is good?)

Back