Installed new hard drive and now OS loads longer than usal

Subdagger

n00b
Hey guy, I am having a bit of a problem with my PC. I recently installed a new hard drive on my system. I am using it as a storage drive. Everything works great except that Windows takes about 2-3 minutes longer to load. What do I need to do in order to make it load faster?

My system specs are as follows.

2 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120GB 8MB CACHE SERIAL ATA HD
2 KINGSTON 512MB DDR PC3200
INTEL PENTIUM 4-C 3.2 GHZ 800MHZ FRONT-SIDE BUS
INTEL D875PBZ MOTHERBOARD
ATI RADEON X850XT 256MB
MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP2

Any help would be great.

At what point is the computer taking longer? Have you run BootVIS to pinpoint what's going on during the slowdown?

djnes said:
At what point is the computer taking longer? Have you run BootVIS to pinpoint what's going on during the slowdown?

The computer runs fine. It only takes awhile to boot up. I would turn it on in the moring and it would take less than a minute to complete boot, now it takes about 5 minutes. It is not huge problem just very anyoing. Thank your help I will the BootVIS

I meant, at what part of the boot process. Does the extended time happen during the BIOS screens, during the Windows splash screen, after you log in, etc.

Sorry about that, this is during the Windows splash screen. It blinks twice and just loads for about 3 minutes.

Oh and I tried running BootVIS and after it boots it tells me that it could not read the file. :confused:

You could maybe try going into the bios and changing the boot order. Do maybe floppy, then cd-rom, then harddrive, and put none for everything after that. I think there is options for like hard drive 1,2,3 etc. Maybe just pick harddrive 1 and dont have hard drive 2 after that

I had the same thing happen a few years back, when I installed a SIIG SCSI card... added a 90-110 second pause during the windows splash screen. BootVis confirmed that the slowdown occured while windows was mounting drives.

Replacing the SCSI card with a higher quality Adaptec model fixed the problem... Did you install any new adapters/interfaces, or just a new HD?

-Dr.K

Back