Installed gtx1080 sli. Computer crawls after exiting games.

robble

Supreme [H]ardness
So I installed two evga gtx1080s tonight. Came from have two 280x in crossfire. Worked perfect before.
Now when i play a game its fantastic. The trouble starts when i exit the game. The desktop (and any program i start) slows to a crawl. Cursor hangs and skips, click something and 10 seconds later it reacts etc.
Checked processes. Plenty free ram and cpu usage under 5%.
Reboot computer and everything is fine again until i exit a game then it crawls again.

Any ideas?
Win 10pro 64bit.
Latest nvidia graphic drivers
Sig is correct except for the new cards

Last edited:
Is this happening with any game? Are you using the latest drivers, 368.39? And what are you using for an SLI bridge?

Booted into safe mode, uninstalled ati drivers theough control panel ati uninstall proggy, shutdown, changed cards, used led bridge, booted up, installed nvidia driver (368.39),
Rebooted. Enabled sli.

I've only played:
borderlands pre-sequel (often at 200+ FPS 4K max settings) played great for the whole 45 minutes i played it.
witcher 3 on ultra 4k (vsynced at solid 60fps) - note witcher 3 starts locking up after a couple minutes - unplayable. Gotta figure this one out too.
Also 4k heaven benchmark ultra 71 fps avg.

After running any of the above 3 things the computer slows to a crawl as if something is using all the resources although task manager is showing <5% cpu and tons of free memory.
Rebooting clears it up.

What happens if you disable SLI or just have one card installed? Does it behave the same? Have you used performance monitor to check drive to see if the drive is doing a high amounts of writing or reading?

Booted into safe mode, uninstalled ati drivers theough control panel ati uninstall proggy, shutdown, changed cards, used led bridge, booted up, installed nvidia driver (368.39),
Rebooted. Enabled sli.

I've only played:
borderlands pre-sequel (often at 200+ FPS 4K max settings) played great for the whole 45 minutes i played it.
witcher 3 on ultra 4k (vsynced at solid 60fps) - note witcher 3 starts locking up after a couple minutes - unplayable. Gotta figure this one out too.
Also 4k heaven benchmark ultra 71 fps avg.

After running any of the above 3 things the computer slows to a crawl as if something is using all the resources although task manager is showing <5% cpu and tons of free memory.
Rebooting clears it up.
So you didn't use DDU? There is a bunch of stuff left over in your registry that could be causing this issue.

You could try to use a free registry cleaner to clear out the invalid entries. CC Cleaner - I used it on my main rig (Windows 10) just the other day because the Samsung Magician program wouldn't work right, and uninstalling / reinstalling didn't do jack. Scanned and cleaned the registry several times with CC cleaner and everything was back to normal.

Man going from AMD to Nvidia id do a ReInstall, ive had issued in the past and its not worth the headaches.

I'll try some of the other suggestions first and if those don't work i'll nuke it.

It's a pretty fresh install anyway so there won't be a whole lotta crap to re-install.

What happens if you disable SLI or just have one card installed? Does it behave the same? Have you used performance monitor to check drive to see if the drive is doing a high amounts of writing or reading?

Haven't tried one card. Immediately put both in. If I cant fix it in software I'll pull a card. Even if it worked correctly with one card I wouldn't know what the problem is.

So you didn't use DDU? There is a bunch of stuff left over in your registry that could be causing this issue.

You could try to use a free registry cleaner to clear out the invalid entries. CC Cleaner - I used it on my main rig (Windows 10) just the other day because the Samsung Magician program wouldn't work right, and uninstalling / reinstalling didn't do jack. Scanned and cleaned the registry several times with CC cleaner and everything was back to normal.
Ill give that a shot.

CC Cleaner didn't help.

There is also a strange noise coming from most likely a video card or *maybe* the motherboard ONLY while playing a game or benchmarking. I stopped the fans including gpu fans with my finger - sound didnt go away.
Here is the sound. Ignore the video part - catching the sound is all I was going for
It's the clickity sound kind of like a wire touching a fan.
While trying to find the source of the noise i unplugged all my spinner hard drives. The noise didnt go away but my computer didn't slow down after I exited the heaven benchmark either! I only tried once so far so I'm not going to say source of that issue is solved yet but i have my fingers crossed

I just played witcher 3 about 10 minutes. No lockup and computer running fine after exiting.
I think its safe to say somehow one of my hard drives is causing the slowdown.
Still dont know the source of the clicky sound though.

I just played witcher 3 about 10 minutes. No lockup and computer running fine after exiting.
I think its safe to say somehow one of my hard drives is causing the slowdown.
Still dont know the source of the clicky sound though.

Install Afterburner and try manually adjusting the fan speed to see if it happens at a certain RPM. Sounds like a possible bad fan bearing from the video.

Install Afterburner and try manually adjusting the fan speed to see if it happens at a certain RPM. Sounds like a possible bad fan bearing from the video.

I physically stopped the fans with my finger. It's not the fans.

For the 9th time:

Google "display driver uninstall" , download it from Guru3D, follow its instructions EXACTLY, and reinstall the latest drivers from nvidia.

If that doesn't work, format your hard drive from a Windows 10 USB installation and re install Windows and steam.

Either method is pretty easy.

For the 9th time:

Google "display driver uninstall" , download it from Guru3D, follow its instructions EXACTLY, and reinstall the latest drivers from nvidia.

If that doesn't work, format your hard drive from a Windows 10 USB installation and re install Windows and steam.

I don't think that's going to affect his clicking noise though :p

I think the noise is coil whine. Try benching the cards one at a time. Could be the power supply as well, here is some similar clicking:

For the 9th time:

The computervslowing down problem has been corrected. (edit:no it hasn't) Now its just a strange noise problem.

Last edited:
I think the noise is coil whine. Try benching the cards one at a time. Could be the power supply as well, here is some similar clicking:

Thats the EXACT sound. I have an XFX power supply too (although mine is a 1250)

Sounds like a bad fan somewhere. Force stop the PSU fan with a pencil or something for a few seconds and see if the clicking stops.

It still seems to be ok - even after i stuck waterblocks on the 1080's :)

Still have the ticking sound. verified not the power supply fan.

After 45 minutes of looping Heaven the GPUs were 40c (CPU was at 64c)
9bxb2a.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well damn, the issue started up again today but now I get a report that the video driver crashed. i took the nuclear option and reinstalled windows but I'll be damned if it still doesn't crash 50% of the time - more if my cpu is overclocked. It makes running firestrike a real PITA.
I also still get hella coil whine (I've decided that is the noise). Think it is related?
I did a google search and it seems to be fairly common. Guess I'll just have to wait until a new driver update.

Think one of the cards is bad? I couldn't live with that noise. Luckily I've never had coil whine. I would stop using my PC if it sounded like that from the annoyance. I just had one of my Hitachi hard drives go out on me a few hours ago and I'm so much happier now. The clicking noise from it was super annoying. Seems like electronics today are all engineered to be of the disposable quality. Meaning that when they inevitably go out, the manufacturer expects you to throw it away and buy a replacement from them.

Think one of the cards is bad? I couldn't live with that noise. Luckily I've never had coil whine. I would stop using my PC if it sounded like that from the annoyance. I just had one of my Hitachi hard drives go out on me a few hours ago and I'm so much happier now. The clicking noise from it was super annoying. Seems like electronics today are all engineered to be of the disposable quality. Meaning that when they inevitably go out, the manufacturer expects you to throw it away and buy a replacement from them.

It's possible. I plan on isolating which card is making all the noise tomorrow. Then when Amazon has another in stock I'll send it back. Being that they are watercooled it's a little bit of a bitch to pull one out. Anyone know a way to isolate it without pulling one?

Hi robble, have you found a solution around the crawling pc after exiting the game? I have the same problem with msi gtx 1070 gaming x on SLI. Single cards both work fine and this problem only happens when i have both cards inside.

Hi robble, have you found a solution around the crawling pc after exiting the game? I have the same problem with msi gtx 1070 gaming x on SLI. Single cards both work fine and this problem only happens when i have both cards inside.

Sadly, I haven't been able to play any games in nearly three weeks so I haven't done much of anything since re-installing windows - which didn't work. Hopefully a driver update comes out that fixes it. I've read about quite a few SLI people with the same problem.

Ok, thx Robble, ive dont alot to from drivers, clean ups, i first thought that some msi apps give me the problems but turned out not so yeah, looks like we have to wait than for the fix by nvidia. Atleast that i can hope its nothing else and to know where the problem is becase i allready wanted to reinstall win10 to. If you find anything new let us know pls, i will post it to if something on my side.

Stories like this make me take a step back and think about purchasing another GTX 1080 for SLI. I never had a problem with my GTX 690 in the four years I had it (beyond the usual "some games don't support SLI"), so I figured 1080 SLI would be similar.

But if it is slow without anything showing up in process explorer, then I think it's going to be something very low level like BIOS/PCIe BUS/interrupts or something like that. Like the display driver, upon exiting Direct3D mode, is causing the video cards to saturate the CPU / IO BUS with interrupts at the hardware level, or slow down the clock rate erroneously so everything moves at a crawl (low power mode?). I really hope you figure this out and post about it here.
Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Looks like 1701 is the latest for your board (dated May 5, 2016).
NVidia driver set for "optimize for performance"? I thought there was a setting for that in SLI mode, but I could be wrong.
You could try comparing GPU-Z screenshot from before starting a game to after exiting the game to see if there is anything different that might provide a clue as to what is going on.
Also, a new Nvidia driver was released today (368.81), so you could try that when you get some time.

Im testing today new nvidia driver on SLI and sofar i had no issues. I hope it stays like that.

That gives me hope. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet

I have the problem back since today and no issues for days. What i did do today was, i used "game boost" in bios. Maybe they mess something up.

Back