Installation issues with Vista, Please Help

aldy402

2[H]4U
E6300 @ 3.5GHZ (1.36V)
Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi *vdroop modded*
2GB TeamXtreme "D9GMH" 4-4-3-4@DDR1000 (2.25V)
74GB Raptor/300GB Maxtor Maxline III
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB [650/1000]/X-Fi XtremeMusic/Corsair 620HX
Lian Li V1000BW/Dell 2007FPW/Logitech G5/Razer Tarantula
NEC ND-3540A 16X DVD-RW Drive

Ok first I tried an upgrade from my current XP Pro setup
it works fine then it get to this screen and the computer totally LOCKS up
the mouse cursor won't even move

dsc02129qy0.jpg

so then I try to boot from DVD and do a fresh installation, everything works fine but then I get prompted for this... I have no drivers for this and I went on the NEC website for drivers and they said the drive didn't require drivers. So now im stumped and I couldn't get past this screen.

dsc02131kw3.jpg

I have also tried both on stock settings without an overclock, im about to pull my hair out
Can anybody help? I know I just didnt spend all this time for Vista if I couldn't install it..

Well... the easy way out would be to go into your BIOS and change your SATA controller settings from AHCI to [whatever they name the alternate choice].

I've heard that performance is better if you stay with AHCI mode and then install the AHCI drivers. You probably have an Intel based AHCI controller - you have to copy the drivers to a USB Drive or Floppy drive from here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/CS-012304.htm

In WinXP, this is the "Press F6 if you have additional drivers" step. In Vista it's a lot easier - when you choose your partition, you just click "have driver..."

I've only had to do this on ~5% of Vista installs that I've worked on. I'm not sure why some AHCI drivers are included with Vista and some are not.

Well... the easy way out would be to go into your BIOS and change your SATA controller settings from AHCI to [whatever they name the alternate choice].

I've heard that performance is better if you stay with AHCI mode and then install the AHCI drivers. You probably have an Intel based AHCI controller - you have to copy the drivers to a USB Drive or Floppy drive from here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/CS-012304.htm

In WinXP, this is the "Press F6 if you have additional drivers" step. In Vista it's a lot easier - when you choose your partition, you just click "have driver..."

I've only had to do this on ~5% of Vista installs that I've worked on. I'm not sure why some AHCI drivers are included with Vista and some are not.

thanks for the help
but I went into the bios
and its not set at AHCI, its set at "IDE" but there is an option for AHCI

yea i tried no dice

i finally figured out that the problem was with my NEC dvd-drive
a lot of people are reporting the same problems with their NEC drive

I have exactly the same problem. It pisses me off. How did you fix? I was trying to install under IDE/AHCI, bet no luck.

You have to use a different drive. My NEC DVD drive just simply doesn't work with Vista x64 (unless in PIO, which is slow as hell). I ended up installing Vista on an older DVD drive then buying a new Lite-On DVD drive.

It's not necessarily a problem with your NEC drive but more of a problem with your motherboard's onboard ide controller, the Jmicron controller to be exact. I had this problem too and plugging in another SATA optical drive was my way of getting around it. Once in Vista both my drives, ide and sata worked just fine. If you don't want to go this route then go to your motherboard manufacturer's site and see if they have something similar to an ide cdrom dos driver you can load during this screen.

It's not necessarily a problem with your NEC drive but more of a problem with your motherboard's onboard ide controller, the Jmicron controller to be exact. I had this problem too and plugging in another SATA optical drive was my way of getting around it. Once in Vista both my drives, ide and sata worked just fine. If you don't want to go this route then go to your motherboard manufacturer's site and see if they have something similar to an ide cdrom dos driver you can load during this screen.

No it's a problem with NEC drives. It's commonly known, and I can personally verify it.

I wanted something to add. When i changed to AHCI mode, BIOS doesn't detect my optical drive at all. It reads the CD when i restart, but then i get that problem..

I have DS3 rev 2.0. No, they don't provide any drivers to DVDRWs. This is ridiculous. I got a new rig and can't even enjoy the new OS.

Back