install vista without dvd drive?

evlbstrd

n00b
Can anyone provide the instructions (if any) for installing vista from an external usb harddrive? I don't have an internal or external dvd on my laptop and I can't seem to find any information on network install.

Do you have a CD-ROM drive? If so, they can send you CD-ROMS if you call them or something, There are instructions in the box.

No cdrom, docking station or external media, I have an x60 tablet that shipped a couple days after vista became preinstalled, now it's turning into a moderate headache. I just have a home network and an 2.5 inch external hard drive to work with at the moment.

Yes. I successfully installed my copy of Vista I got from MSDNAA from my hard drive. I simply mounted the ISO image with Daemon Tools then I copied over all the files to my hard drive, and ran the Vista setup from disk. It started the clean install from within XP.

Thanks man, I was hoping it would be that simple.

To confirm, you just copied the vista dvd files onto an external HD, and ran the installation from there within and xp and had the option to do a clean install, format and all?

Thanks man, I was hoping it would be that simple.

To confirm, you just copied the vista dvd files onto an external HD, and ran the installation from there within and xp and had the option to do a clean install, format and all?

I've installed this way too. all I did was copy the \Sources\ folder from the ISO to my hard drive and ran the setup program. Mind you this was in RC2 back in October so I don't know that the folder is the same name in the RTM images/discs, but I'm sure it's the same.

Back