Install Vista on ESATA ?

Peter Mann

Weaksauce
Can Vista be installed on a ESATA drive...
...or plugged into a regular SATA connector for instalation, then moved to a ESATA enclosure.

That way I could install Vista Ultimate 64-bit AND keep my precious XP Pro on it's current drive.
I thought about dual-booting but that can cause problems, and Vista64 isn't mature enough for me to use it full-time, driver wise.

well, an ESATA drive should be treated just like any other normal SATA drive, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have it runing on a eSATA drive on my P5B-D and works just fine.

Sixpac,
did you install it while it was on ESATA, or did you move it after installing Vista.

Sorry if my question sounds dumb, but I have NO experience with ESATA, and don't know if the operation system sees it as anything other than just another SATA drive.

BTW, what ESATA drive , drive enclosure are you running?
How is the heat?

I ask since I'd maybe like to get a raptor (runs hot).

I installed it while it was on the eSATA connection.

The operating system just see's it as another SATA drive. No difference then the internal SATA ports at all.

I am using the Vantec drive enclosures and have run a Raptor through it and it didn't run to hot at all. Since its out in the open air the heat dissipates really nicely.

Right now I have a 320 Seagate in it.

Sixpac,
Not that I want to pry into your affairs, but why did you choose to go with the Seagate?
Was the Raptor too noisy?
Did you feel you needed a larger drive?

Just because I was using my Raptor as my XP boot drive and thought I wanted to put Vista boot on a bigger drive for testing.

Still running XP as my main OS right now.

sixpac,
I am considering buying the Vantec NexStar 3 and putting a new Seagate 320Gb drive into it as the Vista boot frive.....
however Vantec states on their web site that the NexStar supports up to 160Gb drives.

Does YOUR vantec support all of YOUR Seagate drive

Yes, i have the 320 GB Seagate in there and it does see the whole drive.

Its also SATA II ready. 3GB/s.

sixpac,
You've been of great help to me so far.
Maybe you can answer me this......
How big a C drive do I need for my new Vista install?

I run XP Pro off of a 16Gb C partition and have about 7.5 left at the moment. All major (Office, etc) programs, email, mp3's etc etc are on other partitions.
My C normally only gets the OS, all drivers, and utilities.

So, I've been thinking to limit VISTA to a 20GB partition.
What do you think?
How big is your Vista install?

sorry about the delay..

But I put the Vista install on the whole 320 GB partition.

Personally I wouldn't install Vista OS on anything smaller then 40 GB myself but 20 GB might work fine.

Have you tried it yet?

Back