Install SP2 during Format, or stick with SP1?

RandysWay

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everybody,

I've had SP1 since it came out and had zero problems. Of course, I read about all of the horror stories when SP2 was first released, but I havent followed it since. I'm getting ready to format soon and purchase Ghost, so here's the question of the day:

Should I keep Service Pack 1, like I have been for years? I've had zero problems. Or, should I upgrade to Service Pack 2? I will be installing it right after a fresh format so I shouldnt have any problems regarding installing SP2 long after it has been formated. Is there much problems, if at all now? I don't really care about security - in fact, I run a Spyware/Adware/Virus scan every (about) nine months or more and it always comes up clean - never even one entry. Router has a built-in firewall so no worries about that.

Thanks.

At this point, there's no reason not to slipstream SP2 into your install; leaving it out will only result in security vulnerabilities.

RavenD said:
At this point, there's no reason not to slipstream SP2 into your install; leaving it out will only result in security vulnerabilities.

As said before, I'm not worrying too much about security vulnerabilities; my pc has been seriously clean for over a year and a half without a virus, ad/spy/ware, break-in's, etc. I do understand that I WILL get hit hard, one day, but as of right now.. I'm not too worried. ;)

My main concern, however, if there is still incompatibility issues.

Thank you for your reply, however!

SP2 is a no-brainer nowadays, geez its been a year. Seriously, go for it.

RandysWay said:
As said before, I'm not worrying too much about security vulnerabilities; my pc has been seriously clean for over a year and a half without a virus, ad/spy/ware, break-in's, etc. I do understand that I WILL get hit hard, one day, but as of right now.. I'm not too worried. ;)

My main concern, however, if there is still incompatibility issues.

Thank you for your reply, however!

Look at it this way, you dont pay for health insurance because you want to get sick. You pay for it in case you get sick... and since sp2 is free..GO FOR IT.. also with the slim chance that it boinks your box, then who cares its a fresh install and you havent lost anything more then about 45minutes of time

OldPueblo said:
SP2 is a no-brainer nowadays, geez its been a year. Seriously, go for it.
Agreed. This question was valid one year ago, back when ever single freakin' thread was asking of SP2 was okay to install. On a typical home computer, there's aren't any compatibility issues, and haven't been for months, at the very least. Corporate legacy programs, maybe, but not in a home environment.

Get Autostreamer, make an XP SP2 disc and you're all set.

djnes said:
Agreed. This question was valid one year ago, back when ever single freakin' thread was asking of SP2 was okay to install. On a typical home computer, there's aren't any compatibility issues, and haven't been for months, at the very least. Corporate legacy programs, maybe, but not in a home environment.

ditto

I agree with the above...no reason not to. I finally did it myself, but that was because I finally did a reformat I was putting off for a few months. Take the time to slipstream it into your XP install disc, it'll save you time in the long run, I made 3.

djnes said:

The other problem I have with these types of questions is that waiting really didn't gain you anything. If you were going to have problems with SP2 a year ago and haven't done anything to prepare for it, you will still have problems. The updates haven't changed (much) since SP2 came out.

Ever since I installed SP2 I have problems. This is the first time I have EVER gotten a virus or major spyware attack, and it all happened a few days after installing SP2...the thing that pissed me off the most is that I have NEVER, EVER had ANY kind of virus...a few days after installing SP2...I have TWO trojans in THREE days, and between that a huge spyware attack. I still have SP2, I just scan with every program I have every damn day, and I still get crap. It's rediculous. Thank god I am getting a Mac VERY soon...I used to love Windows :(

SP2 isn't going to suddenly make your system invulnerable to viruses. It plugs existing holes, but you still need to run AV software, and keep it updated. If there's on thing I've learned, it's that spyware doesn't just happen. It's initiated somehow by the user. You have to think back to what you were doing when the spyware attack came. SP2 is a HUGE step in the right directions, but it still doesn't make Windows 100% vulnerability free.

lesman said:
Ever since I installed SP2 I have problems. This is the first time I have EVER gotten a virus or major spyware attack, and it all happened a few days after installing SP2...the thing that pissed me off the most is that I have NEVER, EVER had ANY kind of virus...a few days after installing SP2...I have TWO trojans in THREE days, and between that a huge spyware attack. I still have SP2, I just scan with every program I have every damn day, and I still get crap. It's rediculous. Thank god I am getting a Mac VERY soon...I used to love Windows :(
Here's a clue: SP2 didn't cause you to get a virus, you did.

Oh my God. A year later and people are still afraid of SP2. *Sigh* :(

Most of the people who had trouble installing SP2 had boxen that were compromised before SP2 was installed.

SP2 is safe. I endorse this message.

Phoenix86 said:
Here's a clue: SP2 didn't cause you to get a virus, you did.
Simply put, but totally wrong. I have crap all the time now. I used to have *NOTHING* on my computer, absolutely ZIPPO! Now I have stuff. Adaware used to report the same 3 or 4 "tracking cookies" that were from ign.com, or apple, now, random different crap appears when I scan....hitbox this, whatever that....it's no coincedence...it happened the first time I installed SP2, it happened again. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but that IS what happened to me, and that is why I don't like it. :)

lesman said:
Simply put, but totally wrong. I have crap all the time now. I used to have *NOTHING* on my computer, absolutely ZIPPO! Now I have stuff. Adaware used to report the same 3 or 4 "tracking cookies" that were from ign.com, or apple, now, random different crap appears when I scan....hitbox this, whatever that....it's no coincedence...it happened the first time I installed SP2, it happened again. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but that IS what happened to me, and that is why I don't like it. :)
I never said it didn't happen, I'm telling you WHY it happened. SP2 was not the cause, nothing incorrect about that.

Phoenix86 said:
I never said it didn't happen, I'm telling you WHY it happened. SP2 was not the cause, nothing incorrect about that.
True, true, ;) but that's the reason I don't like it, because all of this suddenly started happening when I installed it, I'm not telling people to not use it, I personally don't like it. Granted, I am using it now, but I just seem to have more problems with SP2...that's all. :)

lesman said:
True, true, ;) but that's the reason I don't like it, because all of this suddenly started happening when I installed it, I'm not telling people to not use it, I personally don't like it. Granted, I am using it now, but I just seem to have more problems with SP2...that's all. :)
And this comes full circle back to the other thread where you bitched me out for stating my opinion, without actually saying it's my opinion. You sir, are a hypocrit. You've done almost the same thing as I did, but here. The OP asked if installing SP2 was a good idea, and you ranted on about your opinion that it sucks. We won't even discuss the validity of your argument, because that's been stated above.

djnes said:
And this comes full circle back to the other thread where you bitched me out for stating my opinion, without actually saying it's my opinion. You sir, are a hypocrit. You've done almost the same thing as I did, but here. The OP asked if installing SP2 was a good idea, and you ranted on about your opinion that it sucks. We won't even discuss the validity of your argument, because that's been stated above.
You want to startit here too? He ASKED if installing it was a good idea..the other guy did NOT ask if it was a good idea....READ, my friend, READ this threads OP's post...and READ the other guys, he simply asks "HOW" to do something....are you illiterate? Can you not read? He asked if installing it is a good idea, the other guy asked HOW to change default drives...so what the hell are you talking about? Look at you, linking the thread, what, you can't do things by yourself? You have to try to get other people? What the hell is your problem? you are immature enough to go to a completely different thread and say shit, get out of the thread, everything was fine.My statements are TOTALLY justifiable....god, lets recap this again shall we? The thread where it started...

" How to change my default directory from C: to D:
I wanna change it so that when I install a program it puts it in D: as default"

Ok, and you came in trying to be Mr. Interrogation. He asked a simple question that you and some other people tried to interrogate him on. I simply got mad at the fact that people were trying to ploice him on a simple fucking question.

And then this thread:

"Install SP2 during Format, or stick with SP1?
Hello everybody,

I've had SP1 since it came out and had zero problems. Of course, I read about all of the horror stories when SP2 was first released, but I havent followed it since. I'm getting ready to format soon and purchase Ghost, so here's the question of the day:

Should I keep Service Pack 1, like I have been for years? I've had zero problems. Or, should I upgrade to Service Pack 2? I will be installing it right after a fresh format so I shouldnt have any problems regarding installing SP2 long after it has been formated. Is there much problems, if at all now? I don't really care about security - in fact, I run a Spyware/Adware/Virus scan every (about) nine months or more and it always comes up clean - never even one entry. Router has a built-in firewall so no worries about that.

Thanks."

another simple question. my answer: in my experience, sp 2 sucks, so NO!

basic and simple. not how I worded it, but basically stated my experience with it and why he shouldnt install it. he asked if he should because he's heard stories on it. I validated the stories heard, and gave him my opinion...this all comes back to opinion...he ASKED people to give him opinion on it....that's what I did....on the contrary, the other guy did not ask for your opinion or policing on it...he simply asked how to do something.

I was mearly pointing out the facts and similarities. I did do my reading, and that's where I drew the conclusion that you were being a hypocrit. Take it as you wish, but please, as others have asked before me, drop the damn attitude. You accused me of something, in which you were guilt of yourself. Big deal, happens all the time on here. You're just starting to figure out that certain questions warrant certain responses. As I said in the other thread, you need to think of this from a support standpoint. I'm not going to make any assumptions about what you do for a living, but if it was IT support, you'd understand where we were coming from. You'd understand that certain types of questions need to be responded to a certain way.

If I was you, I would chill out, and not get so worked up when you're accused doing something that you've just berated someone else for doing. Leave the overly defensive attitude at home, and continue to contribute. When someone asks a question, think about the whole issue, and try to give the best answer for them...not what's best for you.

Back