• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

install SATA HD in 8 year old computer?

Asian Fury

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
1,035
I've got an 8 year old home built computer with a failing HD. Being so old, all is has is a P-ATA connections. Almost no one sells P-ATA HD's anymore and I certainly can't find a deal on one.

My question is: if I buy a PCI SATA adapter and a SATA HD, can I boot from and install windows on that drive? The motherboard of course has no native SATA support.


Thanks for any responses.
 
I bought a PATA to SATA adapter on eBay for $4 shipped and now my SATA HDDs work fine with my Pentium 3! I can even boot from it.
 
The only thing I don't like about those PATA to SATA adapters is that they take a while to get to you.

My last few adapters took 2-3 weeks. So try to find a US based item, should be a bit more but its worth it IMO.
 
Almost no one sells P-ATA HD's anymore
Really? my experience over here in the UK is that nearly every computer parts vendor still carries them and looking through a few US vendors the same seems to apply there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Drives-I...93964,n:541966,n:193870011,n:1254762011,k:IDE
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:134|&Sort=4

Yes you pay a lot more per gigabyte than for SATA drives but still for under $50 you can get 160GB. Realistically are you going to be doing anything on a machine of that age that needs more storage than that.

My question is: if I buy a PCI SATA adapter and a SATA HD, can I boot from and install windows on that drive?
From the BIOS's point of view there is really no difference between booting from a SATA card and booting from a SCSI card so unless your bios vendor really fucked up it should be fine.

Note that if you go down that route you will almost certainly need to either use a F6 floppy or slipstream.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top