Install programs on disc 1 or disc 2?

Hungfoo

Gawd
I'm bout to reformat my drives again (I have 2 hard drives) and am trying to set it up as efficiently as possible. So I was wondering if there was a difference between having programs run on the same drive as the OS or the secondary drive. My theory is that if i have programs running on the second drive, this would free the first drive up to perform background OS operations faster. Is there any truth to this?

In theory, you would correct. However, in reality, there isn't really any performance differences. I could ven list a few reasons why you'd want to keep them on the same drive, such as backing up the system with a drive imaging app.

I have 2 drives in my computer...actually in all of my computers. Drive 1 is for the OS and apps/games. Drive 2 is for storage, and to hold a second copy of my important files from Drive 1. I use SyncToy to copy things like my Outlook.pst file from Drive 1 to Drive 2 in case of a drive failure. Then I back up my entire Drive 2 to an external USB drive.

djnes said:
I have 2 drives in my computer...actually in all of my computers. Drive 1 is for the OS and apps/games. Drive 2 is for storage, and to hold a second copy of my important files from Drive 1.

Exactly the same setup here, disk 1 for apps, games, etc, disk 2 for storage, backups, ghost images, movies, mp3, etc, I've been using 2 disks for years and habits die hard :D

oldmx

k, that's pretty much what i've been doing :) so ill just stick with this setup then. thx for the replies.

This is a little OT, but: I've got OS, games, and some apps on my 74GB Raptor, and all my files and most of my other apps on my second HDD (for space reasons). So when I reinstall Windows, I'll have to reinstall all those programs on the second HDD?

General Crespin said:
This is a little OT, but: I've got OS, games, and some apps on my 74GB Raptor, and all my files and most of my other apps on my second HDD (for space reasons). So when I reinstall Windows, I'll have to reinstall all those programs on the second HDD?

I think MSOffice and other big apps do require a reinstallation, because of shared files which must be installed on system drive, when you reformat/reinstall those shared files will be missing causing the application to fail

oldmx

General Crespin said:
So when I reinstall Windows, I'll have to reinstall all those programs on the second HDD?
There's no blanket statement of yes or no for this, but the vast majority of apps will require a re-install. That's why I mentioned using a disk-imaging app, like Ghost. It will backup the entire drive/partition, including your applications.

Back