Install Printer for All Users

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
We are moving 75% of our employees and the printers need to be changed. I will be logging in as local admin anyway, so I was hoping to change the printer also. However everything I find tells me I have to recreate the user profile, which I do not want to do.

I did run into this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276880 but want to stay away from a log in script if possible. Any thoughts?

Google for a VB Script that adds printers.

I have one that I can email you if you wish. It adds the priners based on the first few characters of the machine name. It was used in an education environment which had multiple printers on each side of the room. No matter who logged in the appropriate printer was added.

If I recall correctly, 'locally' installed printers (those connecting directly and not through a print server) will be available to all users on that computer. Just log on as local admin and install the printer.

For networked printers, if you have an Active Directory domain and your print server is running Server 2003 R2 or higher, then you can deploy the printers via group policy.

Back