SFB

Weaksauce
Manually installing KB3153199 greatly improves Windows update times for the last batch of windows 7 / vista updates (May 2016).

More information on other updates that "help" speed things up can be found here: wu.krelay.de/en/

The term "solution" might be a little bit exaggerated, since the following HowTo only tries to make sure that the Update Agent doesn't need to check all updates, so the check for new updates is done faster. Futhermore, it's only a temporary solution; most likely the issue will appear again with the next Patchday.

There was a lot of chatter about the high cpu utilization in Windows 7 the past few months. It started in late 2015 and caused the released of KB3102810. People now also recommended installing KB3138612 and security updates from KB3145739 with it. Now there is this NEW KB that fixes it. I'd really like to know the truth...

I did test a clean install of 7 SP1, with the newly released rollup from yesterday, and found checking for updates only takes about 12 minutes after rebooting from the rollup.

The truth is (more than likely) Microsoft is doing this kind of stuff on purpose whether they'll ever admit it or not, causing slowdowns and processing issues with respect to updating Windows 7/8/8.1 so they can continue force-feeding Windows 10 down the throats of most anyone they feel needs to "get with the program" and stop using the older (but not obsolete) operating systems.

I don't for one millisecond believe that this bullshit just happens to be going on purely by coincidental circumstances - one update slows stuff down, another one fixes it temporarily, then another one comes along that breaks the fix which then requires yet another update to fix that broken one and so on.

This isn't happening by accident, this is happening by engineering.

Not to mention that all of this began shortly after W10 was released, things were just fine before that.

The same thing happened to XP a few years ago, shortly around the time 7 came out.

I tested on a machine.
SP1 bare.
Then installed KB3020369 pre req for 3125574
Then 3153199 and 3102810

Checking for updates still takes over an hour on a fresh install.

Trying to make an image that will check for updates fast from a fresh install.

I tested on a machine.
SP1 bare.
Then installed KB3020369 pre req for 3125574
Then 3153199 and 3102810

Checking for updates still takes over an hour on a fresh install.

Trying to make an image that will check for updates fast from a fresh install.
Could try it again but include the upgraded Windows Update client, KB 3138612. I do not believe this KB has anything to do with Windows 10 if you're worried about that. There is no Windows 10 upgrade for Server 2008R2 (which the KB is also applying to).

More information on other updates that "help" speed things up can be found here: wu.krelay.de/en/
I used the steps in that link plus the convenience update and found a very fast method to go from Windows 7 SP1 to fully updated within an hour. I'll repeat my process to verify and report back with confirmation on the exact steps.

Back