Install Help

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
I installed Ubuntu to a disk.

The try from CD worked just fine.

The problem I ran into was when I wanted to install it.

I have two "drives"

1 500 gig on the sil image internal sata port

1 Raid 0, two 300 gig sata drives on the nvidia ports

Windows is on the 500, I want to place the ubuntu on the existing 600 raid 0 partition.

The linux installer is seeing it as two 300 individual drives, not the raid. The asus web site is not showing me any raid drivers for linux. (which is odd, as I had thought I had viewed them there in the past)

Any sugestions?

Thanks

What is you begin the install process with the Windows based WUBI installer...right from within Windows?

I always advise Linux newbies to forget about RAID altogether, at least until they become more comfortable with the system. Not because it's difficult to set up (it's not), but because newbies tend to do things like this:
The asus web site <snip>
...which indicates that you have some learning to do about managing software on a Linux system, which software to use, and from whom. The best advice I can give you is to not download software from anywhere on the Internet except Ubuntu software repositories. Linux is not Windows, please don't try to use it like that. This advice can save you some pain.

If you want some additional info, read this link. The first part of that page has some good info about Linux RAID. There's more to it than that, but I'm too lazy to type it out.

Rushing to learn Linux in a high level technical perspective isn't a good idea. Taking the baby steps are the best approach. I say, worry about the raid later. Reinstalling Linux is a lot easier if your home, var, boot, etc are on different partitions. If your card isn't "TRUE" hardware raid, it will not work on Linux. If you want to go that route, please do some reading on LVM on software Raid.

Good luck

Back