Install Case Fan into my HTPC Cabinet

Landmine

Limp Gawd
Basically, I have a DVR, Xbox 360, Wii, AV Reciever and a computer in an enclosed area below my TV. I wanted to add some ventilation to the mix to prevent burning up all my toys.

Suggestions or guides? I'm looking at some 140mm fans, 1 for intake and 1 for exhaust, but I'm not sure how to power them up.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/CabCool-Lite-Cooling-Cabinet-Theaters/dp/B001NJ4J6I

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't see why not....I prefer to have my components open to the air, though, rather than in any kind of enclosure. Heat will rise so the cooling will be natural.

I did something similar on a desk of mine that had an enclosed cabinet that I wanted to place my last PC in. I just cut a hole in the back with a adjustable hole saw, wired up a 12DC power adapter w/ some molex plugs and picked an old 120mm fan out of the box-o-goodies and it worked like a champ. I'll be doing a similar setup, but a little better done, on my home theater. The receiver, htpc, cablebox, router, PS3 all put out a good amount of heat, and I just want to keep them comfy :)
IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Any good fans that only kick on when its hot? Hate to have something running 24/7 that I only use maybe 6-12 hours a week.

FrozenCPU does have thermal triggered fans. You can also get USB powered fans that will only power on with your PC.

USB fan is the easy way to go. Disassemble a cheap laptop cooler pad or stack the pad between your AV components.

You can build a very simple circuit for this. Grab a power brick from an old something or another, or grab one at a local electronics store.

We did this for a buddy who's stereo received kept over heating. There is an adjustment so you can tweak when the fans come on and go off. He put one fan in each side of his entertainment center near the top of each since heat rises. Didn't need input fans as the exhaust fans draw enough air from around the cracks.

FrozenCPU does have thermal triggered fans. You can also get USB powered fans that will only power on with your PC.

I thought about that, but the xbox, dvr or receiver alone is enough to heat up the cabinet.

USB fan is the easy way to go. Disassemble a cheap laptop cooler pad or stack the pad between your AV components.

Not a bad idea, but again back to the USB problem.

You can build a very simple circuit for this. Grab a power brick from an old something or another, or grab one at a local electronics store.

We did this for a buddy who's stereo received kept over heating. There is an adjustment so you can tweak when the fans come on and go off. He put one fan in each side of his entertainment center near the top of each since heat rises. Didn't need input fans as the exhaust fans draw enough air from around the cracks.

I dont need to worry about the brick having too much power and causing a problem? I was looking at the pictures above and it seemed like an easy way to get it done.

If you have a 12volt fan you need a 12volt or lower brick (most fans will run between 5V and 12V, but do not go higher than the rated value), if its a 2amps fan, you need a brick that will do at least 2amps.

If you have a 12volt fan you need a 12volt or lower brick (most fans will run between 5V and 12V, but do not go higher than the rated value), if its a 2amps fan, you need a brick that will do at least 2amps.

I like your idea but how could I have it so the fans only run when its warm?

PC fan have horrible stall currents. Unless you have a fan controller with softstart capability, divide the current in those bricks by at least half if not a third.

Back