Inside The Post-Minecraft Life Of Billionaire Markus Persson

750x422

People say good for him, but IMO its TOO good for him.

We have limited resources in this world, and while its fantastic that someone that has created a useful product gets rich off it (that's supposed to be the reward incentive to encourage such activity after all), there's rich and then there's stupid rich. Money is just the representation of "stored" resources, exchangeable at any time.

So IMO, no, I'm not happy for the guy, as its just too much and reminds me of how broken our global resource distribution is.

Remember the global GDP per capita is currently $13,101 a year.

People generally can't even imagine what a billion is, they can't actually fully wrap their minds around how large of a number that is. It may help to say that its one thousand thousand thousands... but even that doesn't really do it justice.

Since the average person makes $13K a year, that means that in a lifetime (50 years) of working, they will make $650K. Lets say that 25% of their income (pretty high) goes towards paying off a house in 50 years, that means they would over their lifetime pay off a $160K home.

If we take $2.5 Billion and divide it by $160K, we get a bit under 16K. So in a few years, the guy could pay off the homes that would take 16K people a lifetime to pay off.

But can you even picture 16,000 homes? I mean you can picture 100 homes in a large neighborhood, then think of climbing up a tall tower and seeing twice as far out to 200 homes and then use binoculars and see twice as far as that to 400 homes. But 16,000 homes?

Its just f'ed up, and I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise.

Wealth disparity is completely screwed up in the US

Hell with that. I want an island, and not just any island, i want one that is populated and has its own power plant and water treatment plant.

Nah, islands are bad with the whole warming/rising oceans. Would much rather have a mountain hideout.

Only thing I say is that I cannot believe Microsoft was so dumb as to spend $2.5B for a worn out game that had already paid out the lion's share of its lifetime ROI--before Microsoft bought the game. Microsoft will never make that money back from Minecraft sales--and for the same amount the company could have financed 50+ AAA games that might've raked in 10x that much over their lifetimes. I don't blame Persson--hey, when a fool and his money come a' callin', take the money and run...;)

All he has to do is find someone smart in the stock market to invest for him and he is set til the end of days. With that much money he can easily break even if he has investments, unless he buys one too many yachts.
I think you're confusing Notch with someone who has 1/1000th of what he has.

Back