• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

insanely scratched cd....

Imbroglio

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
196
before this cd turned into complete garbage (just found it in my car), it is red hot chili peppers - by the way, and it is [H]ardcore scratched. i used EAC and amazingly enough it got all but 2 tracks perfectly from the cd. i was wondering if there is anything i could do to the cd to get it playable for a little bit just to get the two final tracks off, then i don't care what becomes of this cd. :D
 
Since you purchased the CD legally I see nothing wrong in downloading MP3s of the unrecoverable tracks.

I did that before with a CD. One track was not recoverable and I simply downloaded the missing track and reburned a new CD.

Since I LEGALLY purhchased the CD, I dont believe I did anything wrong.

Some might disagree.
 
i know what you mean, but my only issue with that is that i would have to try and find the lossless encoding of the tracks, and that may be difficult, i was looking for a simple way to repair the scratches or possibly a program with error protection that might be able to read the other two tracks, cause if i didn't care about the quality then i would just go download the cd.
 
There are these inexpensive scratch removers that you can use to buff out scratches. It might work for you - it didn't for me.

Good luck.
 
Were you ripping in EAC with secure mode? If not, try that.

If that doesn't work, try ripping with Feurio (non-free, but has a non-expiring trial last I heard). If that really doesn't work, then I guess you could try to get the disc buffed with a real disc buffing machine (not that CD Doctor crap, but I don't know where you can get a disc buffed for free). If that fails, then those two tracks were never meant to be again.

Hope that helps.
 
If you want to clean it get some toothpaste and polish any scratches using a cotton ball or just your finger if you don't have one. Then wash off the toothpaste with water and lint free cloth (else you might be making new scratches)
And when you are polishing/drying water, try not to make circular movements around the CD. Just brush from the middle to the outside and keep doing that.

Yes this does work!


LordBritish said:
Since you purchased the CD legally I see nothing wrong in downloading MP3s of the unrecoverable tracks.

I did that before with a CD. One track was not recoverable and I simply downloaded the missing track and reburned a new CD.

Since I LEGALLY purhchased the CD, I dont believe I did anything wrong.

Some might disagree.
I'm not sure about this, but my friend just wanted to say that if you have the CD you can legally download the mp3, but you can not upload it (so no bittorrent).
 
This might also have something to do with the drive you are ripping from.
Some optical drives have much better error correction than others.
What drive are you using?

Terra...
 
Why not get one of thoes hand crank CD doctors for about $15? When I was in the process of ripping my 200+ CD collection to my HDD it proved invaluable. Although there were still a few discs that it couldn't do much for.
 
Have you tried a different drive or Audiograbber? Yes, secure mode should work best in EAC. Also, make sure you set the features to what your drive can do, but I'm sure you've already done this.
 
i used the drive test program included with EAC and i am using secure, so i know i am using the best possible drive. I have tried numerous other programs, many of which you have suggested to no avail. This cd was found underneath the driver's seat and let's just say i don't know when it fell, but looking at the back of the cd suprises me that i got any tracks off of it at all.

I've tried toothpaste with previous cds and found it works slightly, what i am currently looking into is a product called brasso, a brass polishing paste, apparently it costs about 4 dollars and does a 10x better job than the 15-20 dollar cd repair kits.

Thanks for all the suggestions
 
my goo goo dolls "dizzy up the girl" cd is sctrached beyond repair. You know its bad when you see engravings in the cd. Just give up and download the music since you own it legally and your just downloading a copy, or you can buy a new cd and get it over with. skip doctors, work to an extent. I find alot of my scratched cd's not working with it since the scratch is too deep for it to buffer it off. But if its a slight scratch, then skip doctor will do the job.
 
Imbroglio said:
I've tried toothpaste with previous cds and found it works slightly, what i am currently looking into is a product called brasso, a brass polishing paste, apparently it costs about 4 dollars and does a 10x better job than the 15-20 dollar cd repair kits.
yeah I heard brasso can work too. I think you need to get something else to clean it with cause water won't get it all off. I forget what it is though.
 
The reason why I asked about what drive you where using, was because i have seen drives that get very good reads of test-dics like this:
ABEX721_image.png


Terra..
 
Why pay 15-20 bucks for a repair kit that doesn't gurantee it'll fix the problem when you can go out and buy a second copy of the CD?
 
that's what i was saying, it'd be better to try brasso and if it doesn't work you could still go out and buy the cd and still be saving 5 bucks and know that you have a 100% cd now
 
I had a few CDs that wouldn't rip completely in EAC. After a bit of research, I gave Brasso a try because I read it "worked" and I happened to have the stuff on hand. I wasn't very lucky, it was barely any better (might have recovered an extra track).

So instead of using EAC to rip directly, I tried this method which successfully recovered all tracks on the discs:

-Using Alcohol 120%, I made an image of the CD to my hard-drive.;
-I then mounted this image using Daemon Tools (DT);
-EAC recognizes the DT virtual drive, I then proceeded to rip every songs.

Now, obviously, there are alternatives to Alcohol 120% and DT, but this is the software I've used and manage to get things done with. Good luck.
 
i used "scratch out" scratch and haze remover , you can prabably pick it up at any auto parts store ,

just cover the cd with the stuff , let it dry off well ,

this has worked well for me ,


also , if the cd is scratched on the top side and you can see light spots through the cd then that cd is not 100% recoverable because pieces of the actual audio data is missing from the cd
 
I'd look for a video store around your area that resurfaces disks. If they've got the right equipment, they can sand a new surface onto the disk and it should read better. But if it's the data side that's scratched, that wouldnt work.
 
trust_no1 said:
I had a few CDs that wouldn't rip completely in EAC. After a bit of research, I gave Brasso a try because I read it "worked" and I happened to have the stuff on hand. I wasn't very lucky, it was barely any better (might have recovered an extra track).

So instead of using EAC to rip directly, I tried this method which successfully recovered all tracks on the discs:

-Using Alcohol 120%, I made an image of the CD to my hard-drive.;
-I then mounted this image using Daemon Tools (DT);
-EAC recognizes the DT virtual drive, I then proceeded to rip every songs.

Now, obviously, there are alternatives to Alcohol 120% and DT, but this is the software I've used and manage to get things done with. Good luck.

i know that EAC has a disk->iso mode, and i was gonna give that a shot and mount it with daemon, sounds like a great suggestion. if EAC doesn't have that, then i'll just use nero, either way i will give it a shot :D

by the way, after brasso, EAC was able to read all of the tracks, but the two it had trouble with last time are only at 96%, i hope this mounting image works better, cause there are a couple of spots in the tracks where it gets just plain ugly(sound)
 
Back
Top