Looking for input on new NAS setup
Setting up 2 identical NAS boxes for media storage/streaming and would appreciate any suggestions/criticisms. My requirements are fairly simple: lots of storage and enough throughput to handle streaming of 2 bluray rips and maybe an mp3 stream.
Currently looking at the following setup:
Case: Norco 4020
Controller Card: Intel SASUC8I
PSU: Corsair TX750W
OS: Will be trying FreeBSD/OpenSolaris + ZFS with WHS as a plan B if I run into any problems.
Cables: Norco C-SFF8087-4S SFF-8087 to 4X SAS/SATA Breakout Cable
Drives: Western Digital WD20EADS with WDIDLE and WDTLER mods, will be starting with 5 drives in each norco in raid5, will be goin to raid6 once storage is upto 10 drives.
Now for the Questions:
RAM: Do I really need ECC? I am willing to spend the $ if the performance is worth it.
CPU: Looking at a Core i5 661 Clarkdale , which if i am reading correctly is ECC compatible.
Mobo: Question 1 - What is the performance gain when dealing with 2 PCIe at 16/4 vs 8/8? the Intel SASUC8I is 8x.
Question 2 - As for the Nic, how bad are the Realtek on board Nics? Would I gain anything by adding in something along the lines of a Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (PCIe x1) Keep in mind this is for home use, and all I have right now is a Dlink 655 and I stream to a Zotac Zbox hd-id11.
If non-ecc ram is the better way to go, I was looking at a MSI H57M-ED65 mobo, but its PCIe is is 16/4, see above question, not sure if that matters.
Any input about the build would be much appreciated, would like to get this all right the first time.
Setting up 2 identical NAS boxes for media storage/streaming and would appreciate any suggestions/criticisms. My requirements are fairly simple: lots of storage and enough throughput to handle streaming of 2 bluray rips and maybe an mp3 stream.
Currently looking at the following setup:
Case: Norco 4020
Controller Card: Intel SASUC8I
PSU: Corsair TX750W
OS: Will be trying FreeBSD/OpenSolaris + ZFS with WHS as a plan B if I run into any problems.
Cables: Norco C-SFF8087-4S SFF-8087 to 4X SAS/SATA Breakout Cable
Drives: Western Digital WD20EADS with WDIDLE and WDTLER mods, will be starting with 5 drives in each norco in raid5, will be goin to raid6 once storage is upto 10 drives.
Now for the Questions:
RAM: Do I really need ECC? I am willing to spend the $ if the performance is worth it.
CPU: Looking at a Core i5 661 Clarkdale , which if i am reading correctly is ECC compatible.
Mobo: Question 1 - What is the performance gain when dealing with 2 PCIe at 16/4 vs 8/8? the Intel SASUC8I is 8x.
Question 2 - As for the Nic, how bad are the Realtek on board Nics? Would I gain anything by adding in something along the lines of a Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (PCIe x1) Keep in mind this is for home use, and all I have right now is a Dlink 655 and I stream to a Zotac Zbox hd-id11.
If non-ecc ram is the better way to go, I was looking at a MSI H57M-ED65 mobo, but its PCIe is is 16/4, see above question, not sure if that matters.
Any input about the build would be much appreciated, would like to get this all right the first time.