Input please: reworking a small network

DigitalMP

Gawd
A new client of mine, an attorney's office, wants me to instill some harmony into his network. A Linux elitist was his past resource, and made a bit of a mess due to his own agenda. Regardless, I hope you guys can answer a few questions for me to help me determine the next step in the route I decide to take.

About 5-6 years ago, all that existed in this office was a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop that is now viewed as a dinosaur (it was a 2.8 GHz chip, but only 256MB RAM, which I'll upgrade to 1GB and make spin like a top). The old IT tech built a Linux server and two desktops with Ubuntu (I think 7.01) as the OS, and these are the only machines networked into the server. My client also has a new HP Vista laptop that is pretty amped up with specs.

None of the 2-3 users have become very proficient with the Linux machines, but get by as needed with Open Office. Based on an extensive interview with the partner (my client), he would like Windows on both Linux machines, and the ability to efficiently use the server for file sharing and backups.

A have a few questions that I haven't had to deal with in the past, as I've never built a server or dealt with Linux extensively:

First, I didn't pull the server (it's just in a regular case, no console) away from the wall, but I would assume that both Linux desktops are plugged into NICs in the server, and the server is connected into...I'm not sure. Does that sound logical? I doubt he has a T1, so I guess it would have to be into a modem then. I'm aware these unknowns are things I can easily find out next time I stop in there.

Anyways, we want to connect all four machines to the server, and maybe leave room for a few more, since there are two other partners upstairs that might jump on in the future. Assuming I'd like to be safe, if there are two or three machines upstairs, should I go with an 8-port router? 12? Any recommendations? And then there's the issue of how the server would tie into a router that I'm not sure of at this point.

Next is the server OS. The original tech is supposedly going to put up some walls when he finds out my client is going over his head, so I'd like to avoid contacting him if I don't need to. Since there is no console, how do I find out what is in the server via the Linux desktops? OS, RAM, HDs (I'll open it up to check the HDs).

Let's say the server OS is a Linux OS. Is it recommended that I leave it as this? What are the advantages of moving to Windows Server? And I know that depends on some other things...

That brings me to what the server will be used for. File sharing, primarily. Also, the Dell laptop is used for Quickbooks, and I want to show him how to back this up and store files to the server (as with the other machines) so I can set a backup schedule right off the server. I've discussed setting up a firewall and e-mail server on the box, but I'm going to steer clear of that, as the more I tack onto the server, the more day-to-day administration I'm going to have on my plate, and I don't have the time for more than a ~weekly visit.​

A couple final notes:

I will likely run the cabling and install some plates in the drywall where network ports are necessary.

Also, they're using POP/SMTP settings for their e-mail access. Again, I'll probably leave this as is.​

Thanks very much for reading. Hoping to get some good input on my dilemmas.

Anyways, we want to connect all four machines to the server, and maybe leave room for a few more, since there are two other partners upstairs that might jump on in the future. Assuming I'd like to be safe, if there are two or three machines upstairs, should I go with an 8-port router? 12? Any recommendations? And then there's the issue of how the server would tie into a router that I'm not sure of at this point.

You realize that the number of ports on the router has nothing to do with how many 'client' machines it supports?

Theres nothing wrong with linux for servers. Especially when the clients are just mapping drives from the samba server.

It seems like you don't like how the previous tech setup their network, but you have a lot of questions about how you should set their network up. This doesn't exactly provide good feelings from us for their next IT guy.

Being an attorney's office they should have a real server with some type of support contract, redundant HDDs in either a RAID1 or RAID5 configuration. I would recommend SBS for a server OS but Linux is just fine if you know how to support it. Backups should be handled by some sort of removable storage, either tape or removable disk. You can also do on-line backup courtesy of mozy or iDrive. Seeing as how this is a business I would recommend something better than an "8-port router" than you pick up at BB or Staples. Their industry guidelines also requires this for regulatory purposes. I would recommend either a Cisco ASA5505 or a linux firewall like pfSense, IPCop, Smoothwall, you could also go with a UTM like Astaro, Endian or Untangle. Get a switch to plug into that for the server and clients to connect to.

Honestly, with some of the more basic questions you are asking I am wondering if you have the needed skills to do most of this, no offense. Do you do a lot of this stuff or are you just starting out?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing... I would not feel comfortable with you being the only person overseeing my network. While you may be knowledgeable in PC troubleshooting, it doesn't seem you have a very good grasp on networking...

Do you have your own business, how long have you been working in IT?

edit: Do you have any experience with Windows Server? If so you may want to try and talk him into migrating to that. It sounds like it's mainly just going to be used for file sharing, which is very simple to setup...

There are tons of other things you could setup also.... login scripts, dhcp, etc...

Don't worry guys, I'm not going to read a manual on how to get to the destination, and then just hope it works when I've installed a bunch of things on there that I don't know how to support.

I can support networks and build/repair desktops, but this is my first foray in working on a server on my own. I'm not going to go in this alone, but getting a bunch of different ideas from all of you is going to help me devise my game plan before I decide who is going to work with me. I've held several Business Analysis positions and co-managed several corporate projects, so I am confident that I can gather the required information and put the proper pieces in place to achieve an exceptional outcome.

Thanks guys, but I definitely wouldn't jump into something that I can't handle. I'm going to learn a few things, devise a strategy, then get the right person or persons to get the job done. He trusted someone to do that in the past, and he was led down the wrong path. I told him what I know and don't know, and that I'll figure out where to go, and find the right person to help me do it right.

Again, here are the main points:

They want to be able to store and share files on this server, and only two client machines (the Linux nodes) are connected to it. There are two other laptops he would like to connect to it as well, and potentially a couple more.

Additionally, I'm going to wipe the two Desktops and the old laptop and install XP Pro on them.

I'm going to go by there and look at how the two Linux machines are connected. He probably has them in the back of the server, so he's going to be best with a router anyways. For this small application, what would you recommend?

This setup has never required a lot of administration, and I'm going to ensure that it remains as such. It's basically just going to be used as a file server, as it's not even used that way now, since the partner can't even connect to it.

Don't worry guys, I'm not going to read a manual on how to get to the destination, and then just hope it works when I've installed a bunch of things on there that I don't know how to support.

I can support networks and build/repair desktops, but this is my first foray in working on a server on my own. I'm not going to go in this alone, but getting a bunch of different ideas from all of you is going to help me devise my game plan before I decide who is going to work with me. I've held several Business Analysis positions and co-managed several corporate projects, so I am confident that I can gather the required information and put the proper pieces in place to achieve an exceptional outcome.

Thanks guys, but I definitely wouldn't jump into something that I can't handle. I'm going to learn a few things, devise a strategy, then get the right person or persons to get the job done. He trusted someone to do that in the past, and he was led down the wrong path. I told him what I know and don't know, and that I'll figure out where to go, and find the right person to help me do it right.

Again, here are the main points:

They want to be able to store and share files on this server, and only two client machines (the Linux nodes) are connected to it. There are two other laptops he would like to connect to it as well, and potentially a couple more.

Additionally, I'm going to wipe the two Desktops and the old laptop and install XP Pro on them.

I'm going to go by there and look at how the two Linux machines are connected. He probably has them in the back of the server, so he's going to be best with a router anyways. For this small application, what would you recommend?

This setup has never required a lot of administration, and I'm going to ensure that it remains as such. It's basically just going to be used as a file server, as it's not even used that way now, since the partner can't even connect to it.

I would be quite suprised if the machines are plugged directly into the server...

I would assume there is a switch somewhere that the 3 machines are plugged into.

I would recommend setting up Windows Server 2003 on the box and go from there... If you have any specific questions let us know.

Hell, honestly if all he is doing is sharing files to 2-4 workstations, Windows XP would do the job also... I'm sure the linux box would do great too, but it'd be better if the machine was running an OS you were comfortable with.

so what role do you plan for this guys company? just finding someone else to fix his problem?

To me, this sounds like you're taking a class in network and this is ur final project.....

a office like this is VERY easy to configure for one person, you're gonna find someone to do this for you? then you're useless to your client.

OP: Based on your questions and statements, I believe you are in over your head.

Robert

OP: Based on your questions and statements, I believe you are in over your head.

Robert
I agree.

Please don't do this if your not 110% up too it.
Your clients network is not a place for you too learn.
I get called in a lot to fix networks that were set up by inexperienced people and it is a real drain on the clients having just spent a lot of money to have to fork over what I charge to fix it.
Then they often end up worse than they should be because the wrong stuff was in place and there was no money to replace it.

I'm 16 and reading this kind of made me a little worried that you might not be ready for this.
I wouldn't recommend going behind the other guys back and messing with what he has setup unless he's not administrating the network anymore.
You said that all he "needs" to do is file sharing?, Make sure you figure out what he may want to do in the future so that you can sort of future proof the network you setup for him.

You are probably going to make a bit of a mess of this one. Starting on a network where you don't even know how to run the basics means your in way too deep....

Linux is not something you just pick up one day and know how to use, its a big step from helping with windows based PC to trouble shooting Linux based servers!

You are probably going to be needing managed switches, procurve or Cisco.... once again, over your head.

All your questions are irrelivent and the best advice is to just step away from the job.

If you really must do the work then I would advise you to get a new server with SBS2003, setup a test network and start to learn, learn, learn. Make sure you have redundancy built into your plans, you will need a proper backup solution with a disaster recovery plan put in place and if you do move away from Linux you must remeber that in Buisiness you need a proper firewall and A/V on all servers and desktops. You will really struggle to support a 100% Linux based network... I would struggle to support a 100% Linux based network! Linux is fantastic in the correct environment but it can be a real pain at times.

I would love to have a small network like this to run, i'm now upto 300 users over 4 sites, MPLS backbone etc. It gets too much at times!

Let's go this route:

As I haven't ruled out leaving the server as is, I'm going to check out how the Linux boxes are tied into the server. I'm going to wipe the two Linux Desktops and move them to XP Pro.

Let's say for now that there are extra ports on the switch/router for the other two machines. What will I have to edit on the server to set up file sharing and such on the server? I mean, the other guy set it up, and all they can do is access the internet. No one has ever so much as transferred a file across that server once, so it's actually never been used whatsoever.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I'm not one to get myself in over my head. I'm quite sensible in dealing with matters, and I'm not going to patchwork myself over the finish line only to have my phone ringing off the proverbial hook because the network can't even breathe with an oxygen tank.

are you 100% sure they have a server and not just a router?

If they are using a Linux server, what is it actually doing right now? If its file share then they will be using Samba on probably RedHat or maybe Ubuntu.

Don't forget that the laptops must have XP Pro COAs

I would think that the previous guy used putty to SSH into the servers. If you know the IP and the root password for the Linux server then use putty to secure shell and then type uname -a, this should give you info on the version of Linux being used.

Yeah, it's absolutely a server. I'll look into it Monday when I swing by there.

Like I said, the server is doing absolutely nothing. It should be allowing for file sharing, but this guy thought the users would magically be able to share their files over the network with no orientation or instruction whatsoever.

And yes, the XP installs will be fresh...I wouldn't pirate a client.

Is putty the typical method of configuring a server without a console? Or is it that he probably configured everything via a console at his offices, then brought it all in to the client and plugged it in and ran?

really the server should be plugged into a KVM and them to a keyboard / mouse and monitor. It very odd to run busines servers totaly headless.

Putty is the normal way to admin Linux servers over a network but I would still advise you to have a monitor keyboard etc plugged in ust incase the network fails and you have no access via SSH.

If your lucky the guy may have used a GUI like Xubuntu etc if so you may beable to VNC to the server but once again you will need to correct IP and password.

If its just shares you want to create in samba then it wont be to hard, but for a business I would always recommend a true domain especially if the network will hold personal data. I would think for an attorney's office the data protection act would require a full backed up secure network, basic shares will not be enough. You will also need to encrypt the laptops. I would advise you to look into this.

Back