So, with the fx60, and the 7900gtx twins as my next rig, I've decided this time around we're going to do water cooling. However, I've never really done it before, and I like to be different. I've been pondering for quite some time about how to make a unique water cooling system, and have decided that anything I'm going to want to do, is too big for even the case I'll be using (lian li v2100b), so - I'll be ordering two of them, twins (just like the 7900s!), to sit side by side, one for the system, and one to house the majority of the water cooling setup. I plan on WCing the CPU and GPUs (at least to start, I might cool even more down the road, or if many people suggest it), I've been trying to think of a few ways to be different in cooling the water once the computer's done the work of heating it up for me. This is where things will take a turn for the stupid, please forgive the horrible illustrations and, possibly, the flat out dumb. Once the water has completed it's getting hot, and makes it switch over to the second LL case, to get cooled down - I've pondered running it in through a radiator at the back of the case (rear top), across to the front of the case and down (rear front), and then - having my resovoir in the large open area in the case (I'll probably dremel out any supports/guts in the way), I'll be using plexi to construct a resovoir to fit inside, it will be quite large. That's when I started daydreaming about how to be different and maybe even get a little cooling out of it. I started to think at first about how bong coolers work, and that maybe if I made a plexi box with a little pond in the top, for the water to come into, and then fall (think of a waterfall) through open air to the remainder of the fluid beneath, I could get some cooling benefeits there. That's when this diagram came about
As you can see, it's fairly simple - but, as I went on reading about bong systems (thanks Ed, even though I doubt you'll ever find this thread.. hehe) it turns out that this evaporation I don't think will really have any effect, being as the plexi box will be sealed air tight, the air inside would reach its own ambient temperature and cease to cool the water that fell through it. Am I right?
So, moving along from the logical progression of that idea, I thought - well, if the problem is the air warming up, perhaps I could have the body of water at the bottom of the resovoir cooled by an outside system, thus lowering the temperature of the air in the box, and making the atomized air flowing into it again able to lose heat through evaporation. (without actually evaporating, we're still in an air tight box here). This is where my second idea came about:
Here, I'm using the best atomizing nozzle I can find, to spray the finest mist I can into the plexi resovoir (I was planning on using a pump just for the extra pressure of forcing it through without slowing the system down), I was allowing for a decent amount of water to collect at the bottom of the res, which I was going to cool with pelts. Then I realized, really, the most effect of cooling here, is coming from the pelts, not the fact that the water/air is cool in the box allowing for the evap to cool (although, maybe it would help too? Let me know what you think.) At this point I realized I was trying to design a chiller. So I ran with it. I remembered how my dad said a long time ago how they used to make ice blocks before people had freezers (I don't need info if this is incorrect, I'm just saying how the thought came about), that they would super cool salt water, to way below freezing, and then put boxes with water in them basically in the salt water, to freeze quickly, take the box out, you got a block of ice. So, I figured - why not do something like that? Idea 3
In this idea, we're putting walls in the res to ensure the water stays in it as long as possible, the purple line is copper piping to run the salt water through, the salt water would be in a seperate system all by itself, cooled by peltiers as cold as I could make it, and then pumped quickly through the pipes in the res, I'm pretty sure if I did idea 2 or 3 I'd need to protect against condensation.
Alright, with idea 2 - I'm curious as to if there would be a way to monitor voltage going to the pelts, and have it adjusted out to maintain a specific temperature in the res tank - so that, I could cool the water, but not so cold as to make condensation, if this is possible, could I automate it?
Please be gentle, I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling (and I think this belonged here instead of "extreme cooling", it's not very "extreme") but please, if you have any ideas, or improvements, or hell - you had an idea but you didn't have enough room in your case, I'm going to have plenty, let me know.
Thanks in advance.
As you can see, it's fairly simple - but, as I went on reading about bong systems (thanks Ed, even though I doubt you'll ever find this thread.. hehe) it turns out that this evaporation I don't think will really have any effect, being as the plexi box will be sealed air tight, the air inside would reach its own ambient temperature and cease to cool the water that fell through it. Am I right?
So, moving along from the logical progression of that idea, I thought - well, if the problem is the air warming up, perhaps I could have the body of water at the bottom of the resovoir cooled by an outside system, thus lowering the temperature of the air in the box, and making the atomized air flowing into it again able to lose heat through evaporation. (without actually evaporating, we're still in an air tight box here). This is where my second idea came about:
Here, I'm using the best atomizing nozzle I can find, to spray the finest mist I can into the plexi resovoir (I was planning on using a pump just for the extra pressure of forcing it through without slowing the system down), I was allowing for a decent amount of water to collect at the bottom of the res, which I was going to cool with pelts. Then I realized, really, the most effect of cooling here, is coming from the pelts, not the fact that the water/air is cool in the box allowing for the evap to cool (although, maybe it would help too? Let me know what you think.) At this point I realized I was trying to design a chiller. So I ran with it. I remembered how my dad said a long time ago how they used to make ice blocks before people had freezers (I don't need info if this is incorrect, I'm just saying how the thought came about), that they would super cool salt water, to way below freezing, and then put boxes with water in them basically in the salt water, to freeze quickly, take the box out, you got a block of ice. So, I figured - why not do something like that? Idea 3
In this idea, we're putting walls in the res to ensure the water stays in it as long as possible, the purple line is copper piping to run the salt water through, the salt water would be in a seperate system all by itself, cooled by peltiers as cold as I could make it, and then pumped quickly through the pipes in the res, I'm pretty sure if I did idea 2 or 3 I'd need to protect against condensation.
Alright, with idea 2 - I'm curious as to if there would be a way to monitor voltage going to the pelts, and have it adjusted out to maintain a specific temperature in the res tank - so that, I could cool the water, but not so cold as to make condensation, if this is possible, could I automate it?
Please be gentle, I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling (and I think this belonged here instead of "extreme cooling", it's not very "extreme") but please, if you have any ideas, or improvements, or hell - you had an idea but you didn't have enough room in your case, I'm going to have plenty, let me know.
Thanks in advance.