Injured, stuck on couch, need games!

McClintoc

Fully [H]
A week ago, I fell at work and broke my knee. I am completely immobile for several weeks. I am already burned out on TV and today was able to get my laptop. Since I am stuck on the couch with my leg propped up, I need some new games to pass the time. I am willing to buy, so name anything that is good. Keep in mind, I'm on a laptop. It's not an economy laptop but it's not a gaming laptop either. It's got a six-core CPU at 2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, SSD and on-board HD graphics. It certainly won't run Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2 but it can handle more than Solitaire. Let me know what you think would be some good games that my laptop can handle but are also have a lot of fun playtime. Perhaps mostly Steam games. I already have Minecraft.

Divinity Original Sin I II

Left for Dead 2

I would say Pillars of Eternity

but it's a pretty complex game without a strategy guide.

I would say Pillars of Eternity as well. If you like good stories to play through the new Telltale Batman is really good as is Tales from the Borderlands.

Some of the older prince of persia games may run decently?
* = check around if it's playable on your intel chip (btw know which one it is?)

Not sure what type of games you prefer so
banished
blade kitten
eufloria
ftl
gish
grow home/up *
gunpoint
hyper light drifter
jotun *
luftrausers
mark of the ninja
mount and blade series *
n++
no time to explain
nom nom galaxy
older command and conquer games
papers please
postal 2
prison architect
project highrise
reus
rimworld
rocket league *
spintires * (could be considered an exercise in frustration)
starbound
stardew valley
strike suit zero *
subspace continuum
the swindle
trine (1/2)

Edit: sorted the list

Last edited:
Last time I was out of work I got back into WoW. Not saying you should go that route, but it is an option.

Also, I make a habit of playing Earthbound every 2-3 years or so. Still the greatest game ever made.

The Shadowrun games. They should be cheap starting tomorrow on Steam.

This, the new shadowrun games don't take an extreme amount of brain or finger power. They're pretty relaxing.

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Deadlight
Defense Grid
Hotline Miami
INSIDE
LIMBO
ORCS MUST DIE!
Puzzle Quest
TellTale's Walking Dead

Those are all games that I like and am confident will run on your machine. Check the reviews they're all very popular.

Any of the Pixeljunk games. Eden or Shooter are my favorites. Also, Stasis on Steam is a great point and click game in the vein of Dead Space.

Axiom Verge
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Rogue Legacy
Shovel Knight
Wasteland 2

(another vote for Puzzle Quest)

If you like console titles and that style of game play, get a steamlink with a steam controller. Then make sure your game titles support the controller well enough.

The Steamlink connects to your network and sees your laptop, the laptop is running steam and actually will be running the game, but it's getting ported to the steamlink and uses your TV as a display. The wireless adapter on the Steam Controller also connects to the Steamlink for your user input. It was all pretty easy to set up and I am sure you can ask around for information on good titles that work well with it.

The Steam Link is going for about $20 and the Steam Controller for about $35 if I remember correctly.

I don't think my laptop can handle Skyrim.

Think retro gaming. There are some great older titles that are not so demanding, your real concern with my steamlink suggestion is whether your laptop monitor's resolution settings will work well with your TV. Now it's the Steamlink that actually does the display to the TV, not the laptop, and I am not sure how much workload the steamlink takes off your computer. But you should check it out. The games might actually play much better through the steamlink.

Forget shooters on integrated graphics.

What you want are strategy or retro games IMO.

I'd highly recommend Civ VI, even if you weren't a fan of Civ V. Just one game played on epic speed can occupy your time and is really addicting, and you have tons of different civilizations with very unique playstyles to choose from, so you won't feel like you're playing the same game over and over.

It would help if you could tell us the model number of your laptop, or the exact CPU model number.

Because "HD graphic" could mean anything from completely unusable HD 2000 all the way up to "fairly impressive" HD 530. You want to help us out here with something more specific?

You can do this two ways.

On Windows 10, click the Start button, and CLICK the gear icon on the side. This brings up the settings menu. Under he settings menu, there is an "About" option at the bottom. This contains your complete system specs, including processor.

6VOrTTT.png

Intel Graphics method: right-click anywhere on the desktop, select "Graphics Properties," then select "Advanced Mode" IF PROMPTED.

You should see the Intel Control Panel. Select the box at the bottom marked "Options and Support," and a sub-menu option under that marked "Information Center." Take a screeenshot and post it here, or just tell me the processor model.

You can see I have an i3 2100T. You can find out your exact processor model just as easily.

eNlcFGy.png

Last edited:
Vanilla wow Private server :D Nostralius/Esylium

My vote would be for Kerbal Space Program if you like building things at all. A couple mods and you could assemble all sorts of cool stuff with weapons attached :p

Also, the Total War series of games seem to run well on integrated graphics (with maybe the exception of Warhammer, haven't tried it on my laptop yet).

Vanilla wow Private server :D Nostralius/Esylium

I've never been much of an RPG fan but I have been considering them since I have a lot of free time right now.

The only RPG I have ever played was KoToR. I might play through that again.

Hyper Light Drifter
Axiom Verge
Shovel Knight
Shadowrun (new series)
Emulated console games

Those will run beautifully on that system, are all incredibly good, and all will take a decent chunk of time to play through.

Back