Initialize Disk / Wipe HDD Questions.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I need to RMA a drive that I think is completely screwed.

-Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO SSD.

When I try to Initialize it in either MBR or GPT, I get these messages:

MBR = "The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

GPT = "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks"

So, does this mean the SSD is fried? It's in an external enclosure right now. The enclosure works perfectly on HDDs so there's no issue with the enclosure. I've initialized plenty of disks with it.

TLDR: Anyway, all I wanna know is a step-by-step guide on how to wipe this drive before I RMA because it has some sensitive financial information on it.

If you are that worried about the contents then avoid the RMA. The drive is worth like $75 US these days. With that said at work I have done 75+ RMAs and did not worry at all that the drive manufacturer would steal our data.

Does the Samsung Magician see the drive?

Dunno, haven't tried using it. I guess I can install it on my laptop in the morning and run the drive via USB enclosure, or do I need to have it connected via SATA?

If you are that worried about the contents then avoid the RMA. The drive is worth like $75 US these days. With that said at work I have done 75+ RMAs and did not worry at all that the drive manufacturer would steal our data.

Yeah, I know It's a cheap drive these days, It's really not about the money. I'm just bitter as fuck about the situation and I don't wanna let Samsung off the hook for this one. If people don't RMA shit then companies will not work toward improving their quality control. That's my take on the situation anyway, but maybe It's misguided and returns won't change much. Maybe It's just me, but I kinda feel that quality control sucks ass these days. Though, I've been very lucky with HDDs, and very unlucky with SSD's. Besides, I can throw this SSD in an old computer and give it to my parents for free.

Last edited:
I kinda feel that quality control sucks ass these days

SSDs have a less than a 0.5% annual failure rate. That is much better than hard drives even better than enterprise spinners.

Though, I've been very lucky with HDDs, and very unlucky with SSD's

That is likely the biggest reason..

Back