Initial mobo setup before OC'ing??

MikeSp

Weaksauce
Do all or most boards automatically read the memory and CPU and set themselves to default BIOS settings (timings, voltages, multiplier, etc.) so that, for example on an X38 board, an E8400 CPU runs at 3.0 GHz and the FSB runs at 1333 or 1066 MHz (depending upon memory used) when powered up for the first time?

Do any boards have dependable automated OC'ing by having choices in the BIOS to somehow allow the board to make limited choices to bump overall speed by say, 10% or 20% or ...?... (OK, I realize that this part is heresy for OC'ers, but I am curious...)

Sorry for these two mundane questions, but I have not built a computer for four years and have returned to near noob status plus I have a senior case of AAADD* in which I do not remember how I set up my P4C800ED four years ago and would like to start with a stable board/computer before proceeding to relearn the details of OC'ing.

(*Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder:D )

MikeSp

My P5W DH has an option in the BIOS to automatically OC by %'s. My MB did scale down my RAM though from PC-6400 to PC-5300 on its own. I can go in and change it, and its timings manually in the BIOS if I wanted to.

Back