Initial loop setup question

SevenWords

Limp Gawd
I just got all the parts for my first W/C loop and have been reading up alot on doing a first cleaning and then setting it all up externally and running for 24 hours to leak test. I'm not really sure how to do this since I'm planning on using non-conductive fluid in my loop, and doing a leak test with distilled water would pretty much negate the non-conductive fluid once I put in the loop when installed correct? Also, since I'm using 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs, I've heard it's a PITA to get off once it's on the barbs, so doing a complete teardown of my setup after leak testing could suck. Is it ok to do your leak test with everything setup (CPU block mounted, GPU block mounted) as long as you just jumper the PSU and have no other power lines connected to the MB or anything else?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to get my first time watercooling right.

SevenWords said:
I just got all the parts for my first W/C loop and have been reading up alot on doing a first cleaning and then setting it all up externally and running for 24 hours to leak test. I'm not really sure how to do this since I'm planning on using non-conductive fluid in my loop, and doing a leak test with distilled water would pretty much negate the non-conductive fluid once I put in the loop when installed correct? Also, since I'm using 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs, I've heard it's a PITA to get off once it's on the barbs, so doing a complete teardown of my setup after leak testing could suck. Is it ok to do your leak test with everything setup (CPU block mounted, GPU block mounted) as long as you just jumper the PSU and have no other power lines connected to the MB or anything else?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to get my first time watercooling right.

YES! It is most definitely ok to do your leak test with everything setup, but only the pump plugged in. In fact, personally I think this is the best way to leak test. I would take out any harddrives or unnecessary equipment however. And if your PSU is bottom mounted I wouldn't have that in the case either.

IMO, leak testing outside of the case is useless because you could jar something loose when installing it into the case. Leak testing with everything mounted properly means you will be minimizing stress on the components when putting the final build together, so less chance of something changing since the leak test. If anything leaks, because there is no current flowing through the components, nothing will get fried. Just make sure you clean it up real good, and let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Yea, install all the components and then leak test. That is what I did.

And don't worry about the distilled water fuxing up your 'non-conductive' fluid. Eventually, both fluids will become conductive no matter what you do.

Back