Initial impression - Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer

notarat

2[H]4U
I ordered it last Wednesday and it arrived last Friday. (through Amazon, and I actually got the order in with 2 seconds to spare before I'd have had to wait until today to receive it, lol)

Initial un-packing impression? Pretty frikkin awesome so far.

Here's a small video of it in action

http://youtu.be/Jy5ujiNJXyQ

It came very well packed, with lots of protection for the unit, and its associated stuff like the spool of clear PLA filament, filament guide, spool hub, etc

First thing you see upon opening the box is the user's manual. The manual is clear and easy to understand, and has pictures of how to properly unbox it and set it up.

There are several plastic brace items that keep various belts and guide rods from being jostled during shipping and they are zip-tied in place with some heavy-duty ties

After removing them and going through the setup process, you power it up and it walks you through the setup process and the process for loading the PLA plastic filament.

PLA plastic differs from ABS plastic in that it is not quite as strong, but it is biodegradable, which is a plus for me since I hate using ABS plastic (because ABS plastic smells horrible when heated)

Back