Information overload: Is there one sub $600 LCD that stands out?

junfan

Limp Gawd
Is there a holy grail LCD at the moment that stands above the rest in 20" - 22" wide screen, preferably under $600.

It will be using primarily for hard core gaming, web surfing, and watching TV episodes.

I'm been lurking on the forums here a while trying to finalize which LCD I want to buy.

I'm looking for a 22" wide screen, however a 21" would be fine also, I'd be willing to drop to a 20" if the LCD was really good, but wide screen is a must.

I'm replacing a Sony CPD-G500, and excellent monitor, but I've grown quite tired of this 80lb. monster taking up my desk space, it's also dying, there are several features that don't work anymore and one of the resistors is blown and all the colors are washed out, extreme brightness, common problem with this model, it's unable to be fixed using the monitor controls, I have to edit my video card settings to get the desired image quality.

I went to the store and bought the new HP W22 from CC because it looked excellent in the store however I'm NOT happy with it.

I'll be putting up a detailed review soon of it's shortcomings, it's pretty good overall but has a one major and a few minor faults, not sure if it's a bad monitor or just the model itself.

I've got a thread of the 22"ers going right now. I as well am looking for the best one. So far they all seem pretty similar spec wise. So far a good half or more have noticeable backlight bleeding. A few are 6bit a few are 8bit. But i don't know enough yet to decide myself.

From what I've learned so far about the 22 inchers they need some time to mature, I'm not hell bent on a 22", but of course the bigger the better.

dont get a 22" its the same rez as a 20 so the pixels will be bigger. Bigger pixels= more jaggiez. unless you dont play games or watch movies on it. then go for the 22.

I reccomend anything from Samsung or Viewsonic

Gateway 2185, its awesome at everything. Monitor, video, gaming, hdtv. Best panel out under 600 bucks hands down.

cfull said:
Gateway 2185, its awesome at everything. Monitor, video, gaming, hdtv. Best panel out under 600 bucks hands down.

I'll look that one up.

Do you have one?

junfan said:
I'll look that one up.

Do you have one?

yes. And I love it. Can be had at any best buy or circuit city (i think its cheaper at circuit city).

Take a look at the 20WMGX2 also. Little smaller btu I think sams club has them on sale for like $480.

travbomb said:
Take a look at the 20WMGX2 also. Little smaller btu I think sams club has them on sale for like $480.
Not anymore. I think they exhausted their stock.

You can get the Dell 2407WFP for $544 now(with 20% off coupon). Heck of a deal if you ask me :)

Otherwise, my Dell 2007WFP does an awesome job for gaming, movies, web, pretty much the normal use.

sethmo said:
You can get the Dell 2407WFP for $544 now(with 20% off coupon). Heck of a deal if you ask me :)

Otherwise, my Dell 2007WFP does an awesome job for gaming, movies, web, pretty much the normal use.
Where do you buy it and where do you get the coupon?

deekayex said:
Where do you buy it and where do you get the coupon?

Yeah, I'm curious also, I've always had my eye on the 2407 but heard about the banding issues, not sure the status of any other issues, I'll have to look into it.

As I said though in the original post, I'm less concerned about size and more concerned about quality.

I'm reading through the thread now, seems to have some other issues.

Do you play any FPS on it?

Personally, I havent had any issues on the 2007WFP, no dead pixels, no ghosting, no banding, works perfect in any game I have played. I have had the monitor since maybe June of this year.

Mine is Revision A02 if that helps anything.

This will be an unpopular opinion as so many people own them. But I had 3 of the 22" Samsung 225BW's before I finally gave up on it. The color was not accurate, backlight bleeding was a problem as you mentioned earlier, and my first 2 had dead pixels.

I suffered eyestrain and headaches from staring at it for more then an hour. I tried everything I could do to make that monitor work (settings, drivers, etc) but I eventually gave up on it and returned it. I took a restocking fee hit I was so disappointed in it.

I purchased the 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 which has a true 8-bit panel and it is all the difference in the world. I am using it for my primary desktop monitor and it is amazing.

I plan to just wait on the next-gen models to come out in April and try again for my other PC's. I would like around a 24"-30" model with a true 8bit panel. But for now I would NOT recommend the Samsung 225BW. If you are desperate for a panel now I would go with a proven quality model such as the 20" Widescreen NEC 20WMGX2. It has a quality panel as well as great gaming performance.

Rhyno said:
This will be an unpopular opinion as so many people own them. But I had 3 of the 22" Samsung 225BW's before I finally gave up on it. The color was not accurate, backlight bleeding was a problem as you mentioned earlier, and my first 2 had dead pixels.

I suffered eyestrain and headaches from staring at it for more then an hour. I tried everything I could do to make that monitor work (settings, drivers, etc) but I eventually gave up on it and returned it. I took a restocking fee hit I was so disappointed in it.

I purchased the 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 which has a true 8-bit panel and it is all the difference in the world. I am using it for my primary desktop monitor and it is amazing.

I plan to just wait on the next-gen models to come out in April and try again for my other PC's. I would like around a 24"-30" model with a true 8bit panel. But for now I would NOT recommend the Samsung 225BW. If you are desperate for a panel now I would go with a proven quality model such as the 20" Widescreen NEC 20WMGX2. It has a quality panel as well as great gaming performance.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'm definitely looking into the 20WMGX2 as I've heard great things about it.

How far do you sit away from the 37" Westy out of curiosity?

junfan said:
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm definitely looking into the 20WMGX2 as I've heard great things about it.

How far do you sit away from the 37" Westy out of curiosity?

I sit almost 3 feet away from hit (about 33 inches) and I am "ok" with that. I would call that the "mininum" but I would prefer to be 4 feet away. For gaming my current distance is fine, but for reading text I would prefer to be a bit farther back.

I have been looking for a new desk, just haven't found one that I like with that kind of distance.

I'm REALLY interested from reading the "official" thread.

What resolutions does it support?

I have a Sony LCD TV it has a VGA input, but that input has limited PC resolutions, which don't include the HDTV resolutions.

Is the westy the same? I'm assuming everyone is running the desktop mode in 1920, but can you set game to 1280x720?

junfan said:
I'm REALLY interested from reading the "official" thread.

What resolutions does it support?

I have a Sony LCD TV it has a VGA input, but that input has limited PC resolutions, which don't include the HDTV resolutions.

Is the westy the same? I'm assuming everyone is running the desktop mode in 1920, but can you set game to 1280x720?

This is a cut and paste from the manual which you can see online at Click Me

PC Compatible Recommended 1920 x 1080P/I @ 60Hz
Supported
1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz
1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
720 x 400 @ 70 Hz
640 x 480 @ 60 Hz

It does 1:1 Pixel Mapping so for instance if you do 1024x768 it will display a true 1024x768 image with borders on the side. You can still stretch it full screen if you like. I have tested all of the resolutions and they work great with the exception of 1280x1024. In 1:1 mode the text looks a little garbled.

Back