Info on data plans? thank you!

johnjohn

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

My 2 year agreement is nearly over. I need two cell phones one for me and my mother. However looking for the best deal. I know all about the iphone craze and such. I am either waiting for the iphone 5 (releasing when? no idea). Or I can get any phone for now until iphone comes out or something. My mother wants a blackberry due to blackberry pin and I need a iphone since she will have an iphone.

ATT has some expensive deals, the problem is I can get 15% off with Tmobile and Tmobile is more affordable only problem is that If I go with tmobile I'd have to buy the iphone unlocked at the apple store for $550-600?

Otherwise if I stick with ATT I can renew my contract and just pay $199-299.

besides I heard tmobiles data coverage + network is terrible while ATT is much better.

I can't do sprint or verizon due to CDMI technology so no sim-card entry however

my mother would like to also know if it would be cheaper to add a 3rd line to the family plan to have an extra phone to use for data/web access or rather activate Broadband Teethering where the 3rd phone can leech the 4G speed connection from the 2nd phone?

Thanks!

Tmobile uses different frequencies for 3g (and 3.5g, or what they call 4g) data services than AT&T does, so unlocking an iPhone to use on Tmobile will not give you a very good experience. If you want the iPhone 5, then you're best off waiting until it is released as you can go month to month on your current plan until then. The rumor mill is saying Sprint might get the iPhone5, which would be a great option since they've got lower rates than AT&T&T.

What is the problem with CDMA technology? I don't see why you'd rule out 2 carriers.

With regards to data plans, you're probalbynot going to do any better by having a third line. Also, carriers will require that you have a data plan attached to any smartphone, so you'd basically be boned.

You really don't need "4g" unless you're using it as yoru primary internet connection....

The issue for him isnt CDMA, rather its a need for some reason or another requires GSM (my family is in a similar boat carrier wise)

Tmobile uses different frequencies for 3g (and 3.5g, or what they call 4g) data services than AT&T does, so unlocking an iPhone to use on Tmobile will not give you a very good experience. If you want the iPhone 5, then you're best off waiting until it is released as you can go month to month on your current plan until then. The rumor mill is saying Sprint might get the iPhone5, which would be a great option since they've got lower rates than AT&T&T.

What is the problem with CDMA technology? I don't see why you'd rule out 2 carriers.

With regards to data plans, you're probalbynot going to do any better by having a third line. Also, carriers will require that you have a data plan attached to any smartphone, so you'd basically be boned.

You really don't need "4g" unless you're using it as yoru primary internet connection....

The main purpose of this all is to get the best bang out of the buck!

* I can get 15% off from my total bill off of Tmobile.

The only problem is that I've been told since Tmobile phone/data rates are CHEAP! compared to other carriers I might as well stay with tmobile and just spend an extra $300 on the iphone (since $199-299 is the 2-yr agreement rate of the iphone 4 and prob. same on 5) and just paying a cheaper rate having an unlocked iphone

The goal is that I need 3 lines ~>
2 Lines to have a #, use text, use data
3rd line for my mother to use for purely data to use Blackberry pin messenger and web/data.

She was thinking of just adding the 3rd service of Teethering? so the 3rd phone can leech data on on her primary line so that she can get web access therefore cheaper?

Thanks!

I dunno. I'm with ATT and my iPhone 4 runs me $50 a month for unlimited data and texting and plenty of minutes with rollover. That's cheaper than plans i've been able to find from any other companies.

I dunno....

That doesn't include the base cost of the line though. But yeah, I have AT&T as well - I pay the same $30 for unlimited data plus my family splits $30 a month for unlimited texting. We only have like 560 minutes or something but we never even use half of that.

All in all it comes out to be $180-$200 a month for 3 lines, one with unlimited data, two with 2GB, all with unlimited texting, and a shared pool of 560 anytime minutes.

I also NEED a SIM based phone because I travel a lot and like to take my phone with me. So that rules out Sprint and Verizon, unfortunately. I loathe AT&T with every part of my being but there aren't a whole lot of choices.

- side note, then consider that AT&T could buy Tmo...

$50 a month?..

Unlimited Data? I thought it was 200mb or 2gb?

Unlimited Minutes or just 550min? Check for me please.

That's affordable..

I dunno. I'm with ATT and my iPhone 4 runs me $50 a month for unlimited data and texting and plenty of minutes with rollover. That's cheaper than plans i've been able to find from any other companies.

Thank you for your input..

I do admit my mother and I only use 200min total per month so it's pointless to get 1,000min a month we're just going to stick to the minimum which is~>
550min for 2 lines at $59.99 : extra line = + $9.99 for a 3rd.

I'd like to personally ask you so if you're paying $30 for unlimited data (I think its 2gb) is that only for your line? or is that for every line in your family plan?

Also as your family pays $30 a month is that just a one time fee per month for all lines in the family to have unlimited text? (Same for your data?)

^ Specifically what I am trying to ask.

That doesn't include the base cost of the line though. But yeah, I have AT&T as well - I pay the same $30 for unlimited data plus my family splits $30 a month for unlimited texting. We only have like 560 minutes or something but we never even use half of that.

All in all it comes out to be $180-$200 a month for 3 lines, one with unlimited data, two with 2GB, all with unlimited texting, and a shared pool of 560 anytime minutes.

I also NEED a SIM based phone because I travel a lot and like to take my phone with me. So that rules out Sprint and Verizon, unfortunately. I loathe AT&T with every part of my being but there aren't a whole lot of choices.

If you go with Tmobile, forget about tethering especially on 4G speeds.

An iphone on tmobile will be terrible. You will only get edge speeds which is like dialup. You won't get 3g on an iphone with tmobile because the iphone doesn't support it. If you get a different phone then tmobile will be a good choice.

otherwise go prepaid. Lots of prepaid use the att network and cost way less. One is h2o wireless they just started to offer a 60/mo plan which is unlimted everything. They also have a 50/mo plan that has 250 mb of data. Use the iphone on there. Or do the straighttalk trick for 45/mo. These are the cheapest plans kee in mind prepaid doesn't have taxes. If you go with regular att or tmobile expect to pay up to 20/mo in taxes for 2 lines.

your mom should go prepaid too since she doesn't use much. Not sure which though.

also do not pay for broadband tethering. You can install apps that allow you to share your phones internet connection without paying extra. Paying for tethering is a scam.

Last edited:
I'd like to personally ask you so if you're paying $30 for unlimited data (I think its 2gb) is that only for your line? or is that for every line in your family plan?

$30 per line for data. You have to be grandfathered into unlimited data ($30). .2GB and 2GB would be $15 and $25, respectively, per line. The only shared parts are the minutes and in our case the $30 for unlimited SMS.

In short, yeah it's $XX for EACH line, not for the whole family plan.

our price breaksdown like this:
$50 - 550 minutes (this is the first line)
$30 - Unlimited SMS for all lines
$30 - Unlimited data (this line only)
+
$10 - extra line
$25 - 2GB of data
+
$10 - extra line
$25 - 2GB of data
=
$180 + taxes, etc.

I still have the unlimited data plan which is $30 for my line. It's now $25 for 2GB for a new customer I believe.

The minutes are shared from a family plan but it's plenty and we have over 4000 rollover. Plus calling other ATT customers is unlimited and nights and weekends are unlimited.

Your statement isn't true if you're considering an iPhone. All the articles I've read suggest all future iPhone releases will be world phones. If this is in fact the case, Verizon will give you the best network coverage (by far) & Sprint will offer you the best value.

Depends on your budget TMO is the cheapest and I havent had any issues my reception is good in California, but they all have data caps....Between ATT and TMO id prob go with TMO just because theyre cheaper and have better plans, . Really depends on how much you want to spend ...

AT&T's data coverage + network is only average... Perhaps marginally better speeds than tmobile, but worse coverage.
Verizon is probably the only provider with a real significant advantage as far as data speeds + phone coverage.

AT&T is probably the last provider I would go with.. ever.
Average quality service, horrendous customer service, and ludicrously expensive plans.

Do you absolutely need a iphone, and do you really need to to swap out your sim cards?

If you do absolutely need both.. reluctantly.. your only real choice is at&t...
But if you could do with a Android phone (I got the HTC sensation after considering the iphone 4g and i'm very happy I did), I would strongly suggest T-mobile.

Family value plan = $80 unlimited text, data, and minutes for the 1st two lines.. (2gb highspeed data). $5 for each additional lines with 500 minutes (or $15 if you want 2gb/unlimited data)
$95 total for 3 lines, with data/text/voice on each line (we also got activation fee waived on ours)
No matter what plan you get with AT&T, you'll save at least $50 a month with tmobile (do the math for 2 years). Also, you get the peace of mind from never having to worry about overage fees.

If you need a iphone but don't need to swap out SIM cards, go with Verizon.. Just as expensive, but far better quality service. Their LTE network for actual 4g speeds, and I can vouch for the "can you hear me now?" guy. For the past 4+ years with verizon, I always had reception "in the middle of nowhere" and "down in tunnels" where my friends didn't.

my 2-week experience with tmobile:
Straight-forward plan, good call quality and excellent data coverage. Their "4g" connectivity have been perfectly reliable and I often can't tell the speed difference against my home wi-fi connection(15mbps).

Haven't needed to call customer service yet, but for what it's worth, the local t-mobile store reps were very friendly.

That doesn't rule out Verizon/Sprint. They both have a handful of world phones available with SIM/GSM capability. Off the top of my head, I know of the Droid 3, Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro, Incredible 2 and the iPhone 5 is all but confirmed to be a global phone with SIM/GSM capability.

Sprint has at least that many too, but since I'm not on Sprint, I haven't been keeping up with them.

Thanks a lot!

I hear Sprint is incredible for texting/data purposes!

besides they charge you only if you use land line minutes therefore calling mobile-to-mobile to any carrier is free. SWEET! lol

Also their new phones are sick!

Samsung Epic 4g (old but sick)
HTC evo 4g? (old but sick)

Motorola Photon 4g = sexy!
Blackberry torch 9850 = sexy + I need a blackberry phone for pin chat.

My only concern is if i had a extra Blackberry bold or curve how can I make it leech or use data for free? Otherwise i may need a pre-paid data plan for it?

Ill update you all tomorrow as been busy with studies.

Thanks all!!

That doesn't rule out Verizon/Sprint. They both have a handful of world phones available with SIM/GSM capability. Off the top of my head, I know of the Droid 3, Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro, Incredible 2 and the iPhone 5 is all but confirmed to be a global phone with SIM/GSM capability.

Sprint has at least that many too, but since I'm not on Sprint, I haven't been keeping up with them.

All carriers require you to have a data package for smart phones. There's really no way around it. Sprint is the only one that doesn't assess a per device charge on family plans, but their add a line option is a little more expensive ($19.99 gets you data + shared voice for line 3).

As for the phones, the Epic 4g does not have impressive specs and I find landscape keyboards very difficult to use. I had an Evo 4g for a year, and it was decent enough - the main issue I had with it was that HTC Sense sucked. The Evo 3d is effectively its replacement. The Nexus S might also be worth a look if you insist upon Android.

Just wondering since you get 15% off tmobile do you also qualify for discount on att lines?

I don't know. ATT customer service has always been good. Whenever i needed something they helped me in the store or over the phone no problem. And I've already posted their cost and it seems cheap to me.

Also for data speeds, I get 3-5Mbit down and 1-2Mbit up on ATT 3G wherever I go. Compared to my friends on Verizon they only get about 2Mbit down and 512-1mbit up on average. I'm not really taking into account any 4G stuff yet though.

Back