Infiniband, sas, and server interconnect

Wing

n00b
Hi,

After miles of exploration i've done so far, I have some questions left considering interconnecting servers.

So far, I've got a 1U NAS including a router and webserver,.. i want to interconnect the NAS with a future planned VD-workstation-server. I figured, having two desktop streaming including a lot of data being transfered.. I figured one gigabit connection between the servers is not the best idea.

I wanted to perhaps install an infiniband card (the 10gb version)

Now, there's one problem. I've only got one pcie card space in the server with the raiser card. That one is filled up with a IBM m1015 SAS card.

What I've seen is that there are convertors for SAS to Infiniband. How does this work?
I prefer to use infiniband as a network and SAS/Infiniband adapter doesn't work like that.

How does this exactly work? I read a lot about infiniband, but nothing much on this connection together used with SAS.

I thought, perhaps it is possible to interconnect the storage between the servers using SAS/Infiniband (I have one mini-SAS connection spare).

Is this possible? if yes, how? if not,... is there another way of interconnecting this server? (supermicro 5017c-mtf barebone)

Thanks in advance

Back