inexpensive phone systems

ccarrigan

Limp Gawd
We are looking for smaller phone systems to install for small businesses <25 users. Anyone have any suggestions on something like that? We are hoping to break in to that market but want to appeal to the SMB market (there aren't any larger businesses around here). Thanks.

On linux, there is this: http://www.asterisk.org/

I haven't had the cash to set it up and play with it, but it looks like a full featured, modern VoIP package.

They have links on the site to a manufacturer who makes the gear for it.

Asterisk works good, and it can be configured for both VoIP, and non-VoIP extensions.

Panasonic makes several phone systems as well.

We use a Coral Digital PBX where I work, overall it's not a bad system for the price point it was at. I think the total price we paid for the voicemail module, extra PSU, 20 phones, and the Base PBX was around 8 to 10k.

I used to install these, and I actually alpha tested the cisco line several years ago. Avaya makes a pretty good product but where they get you is in maitenance contracts. Cisco makes a product (cant remember the model off the top of my head) that really is top notch. Are you planning on having VoIP user and standard POTS users? No offense to "XOR != OR" but I get nervous around PC's that have been turned into pbx's. I have seen to many in the past go belly up, and the customers always ended up going with a proprietary system anyway.

Originally posted by Flagg
No offense to "XOR != OR" but I get nervous around PC's that have been turned into pbx's. I have seen to many in the past go belly up, and the customers always ended up going with a proprietary system anyway.
None taken, I have never used it before so I wouldn't know.

I know I'm not worried about the PC's stability, I have machines that have been up for 2 years now. What would concern me is the extra hardware causing issues and the software. :)

Back