Inexpensive home NAS solution

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to set up a RAID 1 NAS on my home network on the cheap. Of couse I don't want cheap HDD's but perhaps you guys can recommend a good solution such as buying the enclosure separately and getting some oem HDD's on sale somewhere.. I'd like to do 1TB

Thanks

find an old PC and use it or go with a cheap motherboard with an embedded processor such as

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/d201gly2
or
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001

You'd have to get some ram and a power supply (very small power supply - you'd probably be running under 40 watts with a CDrom and Hard drive... if you have more than one HD, add 10 watts per...

I wouldn't go with any of the very cheap NAS enclosures that you put on your network - unless you'd be happy with slow file access speeds.

[LYL]Homer;1031957578 said:
WHS > NAS

Doh! I guess I forgot to mention WHS (Windows Home Server) - thanks Homer!

Before the flamers start - WHS is a LOT more than just file sharing!!! Please don't make yourself look silly by flaming something you know nothing about.
Whs does:
- file sharing
- Automatic Backup solution (with some awesome space saving technologies - if same file is on 5 comptuers - it only stores once)
- Secure Remote access to your files over the net
- Add hard drives at any time - you don't have to break your raid set to add another drive... drives can all be different sizes - WHS can add a new drive at ANY point.
- Easy to set up (you won't spend more than an hour setting EVERYTHING up)

none of the free Linux distrubutions do all of this - you can get most, but not everything without spending days figuring it out.

freenas looks awesome, I really would prefer a dedicated nas enclosure but im not willing to put down that much cash for it, so a small pc with freenas sounds sweet for now, thanks guys :D

freenas is a great solution....being free

WHS is something i really would like to use....but due to $$ im not buying it, i already have a *cough* oem copy, but i havnt bothered to try and install it...

currently all my fileservers run freebsd except 1 win2k3 box i use for other stuff. and what i see where freenas is lacking features WHS has, you can use some things such as BackupPC, Ampache, and Jinzora...tie it all together, the best thing is you built it, and its free, the hard part is support and figuring out what went wrong, but thats why theres a great community behind this stuff :)

any other cool things?

Back