Inexpensive barebones server PSU

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
I'm looking for a cheap server power supply that I can use with a Supermicro H8DCL-iF and an Opteron 4170 and 16GB of 1.35V memory. I'll only have one laptop disk, and a USB stick in the system for storage. I'll only be using the system in this configuration for a few months, and then installing it in place of my current home server motherboard (keeping the 1050W Enermax ERV1050EWT in the server). $50 would be a good price point, but I don't object to a few extra bucks.

I have two Kingwin ABT-450MMs lying around (hardwaresecrets review here). Would that be a reasonable option?

The motherboard mentions "Note: Two 8-pin connectors are required to support 2 CPUs due to SSI spec". I'll only be using one CPU; does that change anything? The cheapest option with two 8-pin EPS connectors that I've found is the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze. I could also get something like this molex to EPS adapter and avoid buying a new PSU.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd think that PSU should be sufficiant.

As for connectors I'd hook up the EPS connector associated with the unused socket via a molex to EPS adaptor just in case it is powering something important on the motherboard.

Update: I received the motherboard yesterday, and plugged in the 4-pin connector from the Kingwin power supply and a 8-pin adapter (of which 4 pins were actually powered, since it takes a 4-pin and a Molex as inputs, and doesn't tie them to all 8 pins). The board refused to boot; it issued a continuous beep. I took out the Kingwin and put in my old ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE with its 8-pin EPS12V connector and the 4-pin+molex->8-pin adapter. With two 8-pin EPS12V connectors installed, the board booted properly and is currently functioning fine :)

Back