Inexpensive 775 until Penryn

I'm getting the parts for Christmas to replace my ancient system- sans memory and CPU.

It's close enough to the Q9450 releasing that I'm intending on dropping an inexpensive dual in until I get the new CPU in January or so assuming Intel makes their dates and I can actually BUY one.

Suggestions on the cheapie? I think that anything will be faster than a 3400+ these days :)

TIA

E4400

I had the same idea but after seeing how well it OCs I might just keep it in my system for a bit longer.

The cheapest would be a Celeron lol, but it you want to actually use the computer for something other than internet and email until Penyrn then go with something higher.

E2140

Only $75. Not much cache, but shouldn't make a HUGE difference, and they supposedly overclock pretty decently. Could be kind of fun before you start overclocking your quad. But it's almost half the price of an E4400. By the time you're spending $133, you mineaswell be spending $200 on a decent proc.

Cache size makes a pretty large difference in games, especially going from 1->2 MB.

And saying you might as well go from $133 to $200 is just crazy. Especially when you're unwilling to go from $75 to $133

And as far as OCing goes, you'll be lucky if you see a E2140 go to 3.0Ghz whereas an E4400 could probably do that on stock voltages.

CoW]8(0);1031539344 said:
Cache size makes a pretty large difference in games, especially going from 1->2 MB.

And saying you might as well go from $133 to $200 is just crazy. Especially when you're unwilling to go from $75 to $133

And as far as OCing goes, you'll be lucky if you see a E2140 go to 3.0Ghz whereas an E4400 could probably do that on stock voltages.

Good thing it's only a temporary proc for a couple months ;)

Good thing it's only a temporary proc for a couple months ;)

thats what my E2140 is :D.

i know i want a quad eventually and since the ones out now run hot when you turn up the FSB, i didn't want to turn my computer into a space heater :p. i'm eyeing a Q9300 myself.

the whole cache thing is only noticeable when you bench. when you game at high res (like i do), it becomes more of a gpu thing than cpu. also when you oc these low-end cpu's to respectable levels, their just like the more expensive ones just about 5% slower and to me, 5% is not worth another $60 or so. but again this is just me.

E2140

Only $75. Not much cache, but shouldn't make a HUGE difference, and they supposedly overclock pretty decently. Could be kind of fun before you start overclocking your quad. But it's almost half the price of an E4400. By the time you're spending $133, you mineaswell be spending $200 on a decent proc.

This has my vote as well, so cheap that you run it like a rental car and not care.

I have to convert 400GB+ of TV shows from DVD to x264, and I've only got two E6600 systems to do it with. I would do anything for two Q6600s before I start this project.

Get the quad.

I have to convert 400GB+ of TV shows from DVD to x264, and I've only got two E6600 systems to do it with. I would do anything for two Q6600s before I start this project.

Get the quad.

For you, that would be good, but for a temp fix, a $300 proc is a little pricey. I plan on the doing the same thing with my proc when the 45nm quad-core is released. I spent a little more than I should have for a semi-temp but its going to make a good HTPC eventually.

I'd have to agree. Buy a q6600 and just sell it when you get the new CPU. The higher performance something is, the easier it is to sell.

I'm kinda in the same boat..

I already have a Pentium 4 3.73Ghz Extreme Edition proc, and now just looking for a solid mobo. I want to be able to upgrade from my proc in a few months to a quad or dual core, the Penryn would def be nice! I've been looking at the abit IP35 PRO.

From what I've been told by the engineers, any motherboard with a p35 chipset will work with the Penryn. Take below with a grain of salt, but realize changes can still be made.

This taken from hothardware.com.
"If your wondering if your motherboard will support Penryn, Intel expects some motherboard developers will have to make minor modification to support Penryn, which include some BIOS changes and perhaps electrical changes. Some of the current crop of LGA775 compatible motherboards are likely to work, however. It'll be a similar situation to the Conroe launch."

ive got an e4300 for sale, check the forsale forum for details or search my name.

i dont wanna say to much about that thread in this thread, i dont know what rules go against that.

I'm kinda in the same boat..

I already have a Pentium 4 3.73Ghz Extreme Edition proc, and now just looking for a solid mobo. I want to be able to upgrade from my proc in a few months to a quad or dual core, the Penryn would def be nice! I've been looking at the abit IP35 PRO.

From what I've been told by the engineers, any motherboard with a p35 chipset will work with the Penryn. Take below with a grain of salt, but realize changes can still be made.

This taken from hothardware.com.

wasnt there a socket switch coming up soon? if they release penny, and right after the socket, id just wait for the new socket myself, since you have something to hold you till that point.

people say wait for this wait for that, but i think buying a 775 towards the end of its product life cycle, is either because the price is right, or the new socket just doesnt matter.

i personally would wait.

I never heard of a socket change... I've been out of the game too long I guess! If you were look for a really cheap dual, check around for an older Pentium D. Probably find those for next to nothing these days. Also, frys was running an ad for an e2180 with mobo for 100. If you refund the mobo, that processor gets pretty cheap.

Back