Industrial strength Wireless?

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Hi folks, I'm going to be setting up a line of site remote office ( < 1mile away ), and we were thinking that instead of getting a seperate connection for this location, we can just piggy back off our t-1 here at the office. Further, we will be using the wireless link for domain authentication and, depending on the speed, our sql client software.

I have never set this up before, so does anyone have any suggestions as to the equipment? I have good line of sight, short distance. I need high bandwidth, low latency and preferrably: linux support ( if it matters ).

Thank you in advance.

Bridging won't be dependant on any OS.

Cisco 1400 Bridges would be my first choice. Expensive. Then Proxim's bridges. These would be on the costly side of the 802.11G world. If you want much higher bandwidth you can go a number of ways. For proprietary wireless gear I preferProxim's WMUX Tsunami line. They have as a full duplex 480 Mb solution, one way, so you basically have a gigabit wireless link. Would work wonderfully at the distance you mentioned. Mega bucks there though. They also have FD 100 Mb bridges as well. Two radios in each bridge. One for transmit, one receive. So, for the 100 Mb bridges each direction is a 100 Mb link. Piece of cake to setup as they come configured. All you really need to be proficient at is panning (pointing your antennas if your eyeballing it) and getting the ethernet interface to it.

W-Lan also has Full duplex high end bridges that I've used a few times with good success. Really depends on your budget and requirements.

Edit add-on: If you set the link up correctly then ther is no latency. 1 ms

good directional antenea and we use cisco typicaly, but nybbles is setting his work up with linksys wtg45 AP's. should see how thats workin.

I don't have any direct experience with it, but Canon has a point to point laser system thatn could be more reliable, more secure, and faster than a wireless setup.

Cons: More expensive than wireless and absolutely requires a direct line of sight

I would run 2 links, 2 different sets of hardware, on 2 different channels, use linux machines at both ends with ipsec and bond the links. If one goes down the link stays up.

SJConsultant said:
I don't have any direct experience with it, but Canon has a point to point laser system thatn could be more reliable, more secure, and faster than a wireless setup.

Cons: More expensive than wireless and absolutely requires a direct line of sight
hmm it would suck if you were downloading something and a bird flew past :D

Back