Indigo Xtreme and 1055T?

I am preparing to changing cooling solutions on my brand spanking new 1055T (well, 2 months old) and have a package of the Indigo Xtreme thermal film to try. In my reading, I have not seen anyone that has used this interface with an AMD chip, let alone a 1055T. Does anyone here have knowledge of this? I am concerned about the reflow technique needed to get the material to flow. The temps needed to get this are pretty high, and I am uncertain how that is going to affect the AMD chips. The Intel chips have the thermal protection.

I don't want to fry my chip, but I do want a good bond between the chip and the processor. I intend to clock it pretty high once the system is set up. Right now it is running on the stock cooler.

By the way, nice chip.

Walt

AMD has a thermal protection as well.. anywhere from 62-64C it will begin to downclock due to temps anywhere from 67-70C the system will shut off completely..

if your that worried about it.. just use it.. let it sit in windows idle for a while check the temps.. then put it under load see if the temps look fine at stock.. heck if your that worried about it run it in the bios for a while watching the hardware monitor in the bios and watch the temps.. as far as getting it to reflow you may just have to bump up the voltage on the chip til you can get the temp needed for it to reflow..

On the indigo xtreme website it says it's compatible with AMD Phenom™ and Athlon™ processors on the AM2 and AM3 socket so you should be safe to use it.

I'm interested in this also. Users recommend to heat the processor up towards 90C to create a solid bond, but AMD chips can't handle that heat load. I'm sure it would work, but I don't think the performance gains would be as much as you would see with an Intel processor which could handle those temps for short periods of time.

All good info. In the end I have cowarded out and used the Chill Factor 2 that came with the Thermaltake heatsink. The difficulty of getting the mounting hardware set up without moving the sink prompted me to do so. I did a dry fit and did not like the way it moved around the chip.

So now I have a set of indigo Xtreme to rma or perhaps find another user interested in it.

Thanks for the thoughts. Once I get this thing set up I plan to play with this one a bit before I start using it as my work station. Since it is my 8th computer I have the luxury of getting it set just the way I want it before I put it to work.

R

Back