India Rejects Google's Street View Plans

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
So this might be disrespectful—a stretch, even—but I don’t think security is the only reason why India doesn’t want their streets captured. As the efforts of UNICEF would suggest, open defecation is a frequent problem in the country. They actually made a video about it.

Google Street View collects high definition images to give its users 360 degree views of streets, tourist spots, hills and rivers. Google's data collection has caused concern in numerous countries. The Press Trust of India agency reported that India's interior ministry had informed Google that its plans to cover India through the service had been rejected. Security agencies had expressed concerns about allowing such image-capturing services, on the basis that planning for the 2008 Mumbai attacks is believed to have involved photographic reconnaissance of targets by key "planner" David Headley, a US man.

This is a conservative culture, change is scary. Toilets are a fairly new thing in a lot of India, tell a good conservative rural man to do something he's done his whole life in a completely new way and the outcome is quite predictable.

You have to give it a century or more to effect that kind of cultural change.

oh they have toilets in india, its just welll erm....... theres no privacy most are half fenched so your sat down (if you wana take the risk) or crouching depending on the type of toilet (western or traditional) either way you will be able too see everything the guy next to you is doing and he like wise. then theres the hygine its horrible. they dont have employed cleaners either they got a class system there the lowest class/undesireable are the ones who are made to clean toilets ive seen the way these peeps are treated and it is horrible.

watch top gear india, they had to edit stuff but show people openely peeing on the streets, thats how it preety much is, not uncommon to see a grown man drop a brick as you walk past him.

This is a conservative culture, change is scary. Toilets are a fairly new thing in a lot of India, tell a good conservative rural man to do something he's done his whole life in a completely new way and the outcome is quite predictable.

You have to give it a century or more to effect that kind of cultural change.

That's right, it's a very serious health issue. Particularly in the country, people just don't understand why they shouldn't just go wherever they feel like it.

There will be untold reasons, a huge amount why its not something that should happen in India.
It is densely populated such that you cannot go hardly anywhere without people present.
The following doesnt describe everywhere it varies a lot, much is not uncommon and some of it rare, but they will encounter it...

It is 3rd world, people are very poor, often not well educated, if at all. This can lead to some dangerous thinking, standards and ways of life. Some places dont have electricity yet or have to steal it with a long live cable.
Couple that with a very religious society, some places should be avoided.
Asking a government official where not to go wont help, they are kept in the dark. Some employees will be under threat to keep mum, others will be paid off or even part of gang.
The road system requires you to be on your toes permanently, you can easily kill someone or crash if you are distracted. Its nothing like roads here. ie traffic can suddenly change onto the opposite side of the road driving into head on traffic because its easier for them to make a turn ahead.
They will be sure to come across gangs and resentful people or those curious enough to stop them and take what they want.
Many routes take you through jungle areas that are controlled. Some roads are not really roads, barely single track, not flat and with obstacles that need removing. Driving in a straight line can be tricky.
Many provinces would not be pleased at photos of their culture being published on an automated street map. Some for privacy concerns, some because they are embarrassed it isnt kept as well as it should...
They might want to put a stop to this happening in a brutal way.
There are many people living on the streets that are in very bad shape either through misfortune, mutilation or ill health etc. India would not want images of this widely published, especially on an automated map.

There are more reasons and Google maps would leave no stone unturned.
Causing unrest in a country that large with the population as described would not be sensible.
The government like it peaceful in and out of the office.

India is a great place.
Go where it is safe and sensible.
Oh and behave!

Big surprise - large parts of that country are literally just a shit hole. They are free to resist any sort of progress all they like, as the years and decades tick by they will wake up and realize "oh damn, the world passed us by".

Fuck em' - if they want to continue to live in the 15th centurty sanitation wise go nuts. And I don't care how deeply ingrained the whole body odor thing is in their culture, you smelling like a bums nutsack isn't going to help you in any way.

This is just like those episodes of "Hoarders: Buried Alive" - where those people never want to have company over or have their friends see how they live, but it's a total shithole.

Yep. They got nukes and mars probes but public facilities is too much to ask.

At work (tech giant REDACTED) new grunt from India asks me in the kitchen if the water is safe to drink. This is in an office building belonging to a major multinational technology firm at it its corporate headquarters.

Of course, if this were Michigan the answer might have taken some thought. But it wasn't.

When I first started out decades ago, in my first apartment as a new professional nerd there were a lot of guys from India in the complex. While I was the only occupant in my unit, these guys brought their entire extend family. Three times we had to evacuate because grandma decided to cook in a charcoal grill, inside. Twice the fire department was involved.

Adjusting to other cultures is hard.

Few years ago ice road truckers did a show in india. The driving there is crazy maybe even insane.

In Peter Jacksons 'Meet the Feebles' India was described as the rectum of the universe. Wasn't far fetched.

Firstly, the article about India rejecting google street view states that it is because of terrorism that the country wants to avoid it. Long before there was 9-11, India saw too many terrorist attacks which western media didn't cover. And therefore, you know nothing about it.

Secondly, all the comments here about defecation are hilarious. I could read one article on school shootings in America and conclude that all white teenagers in the USA are stupid gun totting morons and their parents should never have been allowed to raise a family. But I won't do such a thing because that is reductive and not at all accurate.

Thirdly, you can make fun of India all you want but we don't really care because we've grown thick skins. Laugh all you want, Make fun all you want. I'm only posting because I'm disappointed at HardOCP. Pathetic that hardocp Tsing has to link a reason completely unrelated to the article which is actually dealing with a serious matter (terrorism). You want to post that Unicef video separately and have them red***ks have their guffaws in the comments section. That's fine. But in an article that is citing terrorism, I think not.

India just doesn't want Google to capture images of the hundreds of rapes that happen every day...
I'm new to this forum so I can't post a link. but FYI India comes below UK and USA in the top 10 list of countries with rape problems. Google rape statistics worldwide 2015

I've been to India many many times and i dread it each time because I know it's an 8th world shit hole open toilet. The entire place smells like rancid curry shit.

This is unfortunate, because I find google earth with street view a great way to explore foreign countries from your own home.

Wandering through the back streets of Bangkok is downright hilarious what with the 4 floor apartments with metal security fencing on the front porches all the way up to the top floor. I can just imagine some of the ninjaing the local thieves must be doing.

I'm new to this forum so I can't post a link. but FYI India comes below UK and USA in the top 10 list of countries with rape problems. Google rape statistics worldwide 2015
You know well that the 'village council' will usually punish the rape victim and leave the rapists unpunished. So no rape happened, only a filthy female exposing herself to helpless horny men.

Back