Incurreth Not The Wrath Of Microskank

Merovaeus

Weaksauce
So I get tired of the oppressive features added to IE by SP2 (XP Home) and I proceed to uninstall SP2 via Windows' own removal wizard. Upon reboot I recieve a message saying something about rundll32 being an invalid image. I'm allowed to continue, but for a reason I can only interpret as vengeance, neither AIM nor Gaim work on my computer anymore. Both installations are brand new of the newest and correct versions (and were both reinstalled several times after reboot). They simply encounter fatal errors when I run them.

I've had it with XP. I'm reformatting with 2000 this week, and when I get a new HDD, I'll try to install mandrake. maybe there will be better times ahead? *sniff*

And here, everyone else is very pleased with SP2. Go figure.

Sounds like a PEBKAC error to me

I had no problmes getting rid of the IE security features, Maybe you could post what problems you had and we can help you fix them

I don't think better times are ahead because the core of your problem hasn't changed... :p

I don't know why I'm answering this, but I am.

Your uninstall of SP2 failed for some reason. Your running a franken-machine. Do a repair install.

OldPueblo said:
I don't think better times are ahead because the core of your problem hasn't changed... :p

Ha ha! I'm making that a bumper sticker about the fact we re-elected Bushy!

djnes said:
And here, everyone else is very pleased with SP2. Go figure.

I'm not. Caused tons of errors here at work. NCAR is holding off on SP2 till later, when the sysadmins figure out what it did and how to fix it.

It also seems to add bloat, even with everything off. It's slower booting and responding on my older 1.7 ghz system. But, it is also a lot more stable. Go figure :)

lopoetve, long time... :)

I'm betting you have an app that the vendor didn't update for SP2. At my work we are in the same boat, and it's our financial app. So we ain't running SP2 either. ;)

However, that's clearly a vendor issue, not a MS issue. MS provided SP2 to vendors quite a while before it was released, AND it has been out for months since. Any company that can't update their code in that time frame is at fault.

Phoenix86 said:
lopoetve, long time... :)

I'm betting you have an app that the vendor didn't update for SP2. At my work we are in the same boat, and it's our financial app. So we ain't running SP2 either. ;)

However, that's clearly a vendor issue, not a MS issue. MS provided SP2 to vendors quite a while before it was released, AND it has been out for months since. Any company that can't update their code in that time frame is at fault.

Yeah, I don't actually know what the issue was. I'm just a programmer/light sysadmin. The top guys deal with the SP rollouts, and they were there for the greater part of a weekend picking up the pieces when we tried it. We run quite a few proprietary apps, and I know that there were issues there, but there were also some bugs with systems beyond just the apps. I'll ask them tomorrow exactly what they hit, I'm sure that they'd be willing to tell me what issues they found.

Rombus said:
Sounds like a PEBKAC error to me

I had no problmes getting rid of the IE security features, Maybe you could post what problems you had and we can help you fix them
/agree.

(And Rombus is everywhere.... like Batman and stuff....)

Apallohadas said:
/agree.

(And Rombus is everywhere.... like Batman and stuff....)

Really? Where else am i? :)

As for SP2: Ive had the "Joy" of installing SP2 on about 500-600 student computers since the start of this school year, Yes ive seen my share of failures or complete weriedness (emachines laptops where you need to update the bios to do it, etc) I still think in genral SP2 is a positive step. I have yet to have a problem with it on my 3 machines i use. But to each his own :)

Back