incremental backups...large 70gb folder

DReborn

Limp Gawd
i backup My Docs folder (music, docs, photos, videos) to a NAS using the built in windows backup program but it isn't a slam dunk.

every monday night i do a full/normal backup replacing whatever backup is on my NAS and then during the week i do incremental backups. in theory this should be fine but for some reason something always goes wrong and I end up with a crappy backup.

i am willing to spend some money on a solid backup prog that will let me backup to my NAS incrementally. obviously i want one big backup to start but then just incremental backups after that. it's stupid to recopy the whole 70gb every night when all i did was edit one document. =)

any ideas?

thanks!

I use rsync on a linux box. The initial rsync does it's thang, then it just checks for file changes after that. Backups may take some time, but you only end up transfering the changes ( not the whole file either; just the changes ).

rsync is so damn cool. It's one of those little programs that make a linux file server on any corporate network a good idea.

i take it rsync doesn't work on xp pro though huh? =)

any windows programs like rsync?

edit: there seems to be a windows version of rysync called cwrsync...anybody ever use?

wow nice that seems like a good fit. I also found syncback free which also seems like it would work

my only concern is scheduling the two progs but I guess u could always use windows scheduler to make them run everynight

thanks

ROBOCOPY is in the Windows resource kit.

I employ a scheme similar to yours, except I take image backups of all my drives. I use Acronis True Image.

Back