Incredible Far Cry 2 video

Indeed, teh game looks utterly fantastic. I'm not much for fps but that looks awesome, and the physics looks just as good as teh crysis engine.

that vid looked awesome, i actually just started playing the free ad version of farcry, its fun but i'm really into all the cool things they put into #2, even the subtle things like animations of getting in and out of cars, healing yourself, the flamethrower looks like a lot of fun.. i'm looking forward to it

I don't know why but I never really got into Farcry, I kind of got bored in one of the tunnels/caves and just stopped playing, don't really remember why though.

Some of the aspects in this trailer look fun, but I just can't stop comparing the graphics to Crysis and they just seem to be lacking? Am I wrong? Also the nade explosion just doesn't sound right, it sounds like they tried a real life recording but it never got polished, thoughts?

Wow...looks great. Open-ended gameplay, good AI, huge and fully interactive world = a very promising game. If implemented well this game could be great. There's some good, innovative stuff going into this game. I'll definitely be following this one closely. :)

Yeah, exactly what I thought - and that this is exactly what S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - SoC should have been.

:(

If Ubisoft can get the animals in the environment to interact with you and have some of them be enemies (i.e. Lions etc.) then this game might actually be better than Crysis - but just slightly. From the sounds of things I think the 2 games will be highly comparable on engine features and what they allow the player to do in game - with some "newer" ideas and things being implemented in Far Cry 2. Overall, what it will come down to I think, is that the game with the better story will be more successful.

Now this only makes me wonder...if this is how good Crysis and Far Cry 2 are looking...how good could F.E.A.R. 2 aka Project Origin be then? :eek:

The self medication is completely fucking retarded. It's not realistic, you would pass out from the pain of ripping a bullet out of your thigh. Not to mention the fact that the bullet would mushroom and fragment, leaving a big gaping open wound in your leg.

You tell me, which would you rather have: Boring medpacks which you have to take the time to find and doesn't make any different experience to gameplay or an innovattive game which tries something new and different while being somewhat more "realistic".

I'd choose the latter.

Because honestly, you can't tell me that just "picking up" a medpack and being "automatically healed" in most games is ANYWHERE near realistic in the least bit - and if you think about it doesn't really make sense why this " healing design" works other than to save you time and allow to keep on playing - I'd go so far as to say it's even more retarded than this new effort from Ubisoft.

Speaking of STALKER, that's another game I just got bored of and never finished. I think I got a bit passed that junkyard place and then just stopped playing. The game just seemed kind of boring to me which I find odd since I was really excited for it and anticipated it for quite a while. I wonder if there is any correlation between FarCry and STALKER and me not finishing both games because of getting bored. They just both seem like such popular titles.

Speaking of STALKER, that's another game I just got bored of and never finished. I think I got a bit passed that junkyard place and then just stopped playing. The game just seemed kind of boring to me which I find odd since I was really excited for it and anticipated it for quite a while. I wonder if there is any correlation between FarCry and STALKER and me not finishing both games because of getting bored. They just both seem like such popular titles.

Ah, you missed out - the Lake Yantar area of the game is one of the best designed levels/sections in ANY game I've ever played - extremely fun and extremely creepy! (especially if you play this part at night..alone in your room)

But you can't get there until about 75% through the game and the location you stopped at is about 20% through it - you saw nothing of the game really. :(

The self medication is completely fucking retarded. It's not realistic, you would pass out from the pain of ripping a bullet out of your thigh. Not to mention the fact that the bullet would mushroom and fragment, leaving a big gaping open wound in your leg.

its a start buddy. better than magically healthpacks magically giving u health back.

I thought the slapping-at-the-flaming-limb animation was awesome. Doubly so if there's a good 3rd person animation for it. Imagine the hilarious possibilities for multiplayer.

Oh here we go with the "totally realistic" argument again. Let's take it to it's logical conclusion, shall we?

1.) Buy $50 game.
2.) Install.
3.) Play
4.) Get shot in the leg. You're wounded and can't move. Another soldier comes over and finishes you off.
5.) You're dead and you can't restart or reinstall. You can't even buy another $50 game. End of gaming.

Joy for totally realistic!

Then the argument should shift away from what realistic implies and towards why these game companies pervert the meaning of the word for the purpose of selling their games to people who can't think their way out of a wet paper bag.

its a start buddy. better than magically healthpacks magically giving u health back.

It's not realistic, ergo they should not call it realistic. I don't know what they should call it, but don't call it something that it's not.

Far Cry 2 definitely looks good and even though I can't judge much, just by this video, I can say this: This is exactly like Crysis, but has absolutely nothing new. The graphics are ok, even though IMHO, not as good as Crysis, but since it's still pre-alpha, they may improve. The gameplay is exactly like the original Far Cry, but without mutants. I like the fact that we'll only batlle "humans" and I also like the animations, to take out bullets or cover the fire in our arm, but really, this game has nothing new and it seems to be copying alot from Crysis. I guess that's the price to pay, for releasing the game later. But since this is a pre-alpha, there's hope they'll actually add something new to the game, before releasing it. Either way, it seems fun enough, for me to consider the purchase.

I don't know why but I never really got into Farcry, I kind of got bored in one of the tunnels/caves and just stopped playing, don't really remember why though.

Some of the aspects in this trailer look fun, but I just can't stop comparing the graphics to Crysis and they just seem to be lacking? Am I wrong? Also the nade explosion just doesn't sound right, it sounds like they tried a real life recording but it never got polished, thoughts?

Concerning the graphics, yes I agree. Not as good as Crysis, though it's a pre-alpha, so they will surely improve them. Same reason for the sounds. It will be improved in the final game.

I just don't understand why everyone is saying this game has something new in it. I don't see anything new. It really looks like exactly Far Cry, but without mutants and better graphics.

My friends and I are always talking about upcoming games, what we would like to see in them, etc. Farcry 2 will definitely be on that list!

Thanks for the vid, some really innovative stuff there!

cerila said:
Also the nade explosion just doesn't sound right, it sounds like they tried a real life recording but it never got polished, thoughts?

It probably is, but considering it's pre-alpha or whatever it was it'll only be a placeholder.

What I don't understand is the game's only pre-alpha but aiming for a close release date unless it was a pretty old build

It's lok good but it very evident that's it's still in alpha. It looks really unpolished.

I'll defiantly pick this one up. I like the setting, and the graphics look like they could be close to as good as Crysis's. I'm glad that it has nothing in common with Far Cry but the name. I also like that it leans a little to the RPG side of things as well. This could be a winner.

Pulling out bullets is more realistic than simply walking over (or using) a med pack and instantly having loads more health, it takes time so you need to be in cover and has some cool animations associated with it, can't wait to see the rest :)

I am looking forward to this game more than any other game in the past few years. I was one of the people that loved Far Cry and can't wait for more. I am not sure Crysis fits the bill for me until I can play it. I like more realistic games, and this seems like it is going to be a good one!

Holy hell! I wasn't expecting that... and that's pre-alpha? Damn.

Not only does it look friggin' incredible, but the gameplay mechanics look fantastic and unique, such as how you obviously heal yourself by digging out bullets, and the environmental destructibility/interactivity is amazing... it all looks incredible.

Definitely just got me even far more interested than I already was.

if they where smart you would also bandage it and inject yourself with morphine :D but then by the end of the game you would look like the mummie and not feel a damn thing lol

i'd love to see a suvival system implemented (like what we should have had with STALKER)

I hope they don't dumb it down, from that video it looks like the animations are triggered automatically, wouldn't it be better if you could move away from the enemies to safety and trigger them yourself? It would also be cool if, based on your damaged location, you would either limp or have your accuracy decreased...etc?

i'd love to see a suvival system implemented (like what we should have had with STALKER)

I hope they don't dumb it down, from that video it looks like the animations are triggered automatically, wouldn't it be better if you could move away from the enemies to safety and trigger them yourself? It would also be cool if, based on your damaged location, you would either limp or have your accuracy decreased...etc?

Not after your first injury. Accuracy decreases, harder to hit people, then add a limp and god knows what else - halfway into the first level you'd be stumbling about like a Down's with epilepsy. I can imagine that would detract from the fun, somewhat.

Pulling out bullets is more realistic than simply walking over (or using) a med pack and instantly having loads more health, it takes time so you need to be in cover and has some cool animations associated with it, can't wait to see the rest :)

Yeah, the animations when removing the bullets were excellent. It's unique. I've never seen anything like that before, and definitely has more brutal realistic feel to it.

if they where smart you would also bandage it and inject yourself with morphine :D but then by the end of the game you would look like the mummie and not feel a damn thing lol

LOL!! I almost just fell out of my fucking chair laughing. :D

Not after your first injury. Accuracy decreases, harder to hit people, then add a limp and god knows what else - halfway into the first level you'd be stumbling about like a Down's with epilepsy. I can imagine that would detract from the fun, somewhat.

LOL... another hysterical visual, that one.
Would definitely detract from the game, I'd think ;)

Back