Incorrect memory utilization for 1 VM ESXi 6.5

yuljk

n00b
Hi - After upgrading my host to ESXi 6.5 and VCSA to 6.5 I have found that one of my VM's shows all memory being utilized in the summary screen and when checking the performance chart for percentage used it displays 100% (This is not the case when checking task manager and RAMMap in Windows)

Consequently the vSphere web client complains about memory usage for this VM.

I have 20+ other VM's on 2012 R2 that are not experiencing this problem. The only difference I can see is that this particular VM has passthrough enabled for the LSI card.

The VM has no reservation set and the limit is set to 'unlimited'. The VM in question runs Server 2012 R2 with an LSI 9260-8i passthrough.

Latest VMware Tools is installed.

I have rebooted the VCSA, the host and the VM.

This issue was not present on ESXi 6.

Lru6cV.png

ScMnU8.png

HLGZPK.png

Any suggestions appreciated

PCI passthrough forces all ram to be assigned. No idea why that wasn't showing up in 6.0. Possibly a bug they fixed?

Yeah - I was under the impression all memory would need to be reserved before powering on when using PCI passthrough - doesn't make much sense as to why VCSA 6.5 throws memory usage alerts if this is the expected behavior however..

All memory is reserved for passthrough, as they said - it should have set alarms before, but you can disable them for that vm with some creative folder / alarm mapping.

Back