Inconsistent Connection (Wireless)

Z(+)DIAC

2[H]4U
For some reason or another I keep losing and gaining my wireless connection on my desktop. It just started today, and I can't figure it out. I will be logged on just fine and then all of a sudden my pages won't load, programs slow down, and as soon as I know it I'm disconnected from the internet. I go to repair my connection and sure enough it works and I'm back in business. It's getting a bit annoying however.

I checked my Cable Modem and Wireless Router, all connections seem fine as well as operational. My wireless card is also working perfectly fine.

Can anyone think of a reason for this? My connection is "unsecured", at least that's what it says in my display. Do you thnk someone is stealing my bandwith? I'm new when it comes to wireless networks.

It could be due to other devices interfering, such as if a neighbor put up an access point on the same frequency. Or it could be due to someone stealing bandwidth or tampering with your box. Or it could be a slew of other causes. Before worrying about performance, I would highly reccommend securing your access point first in order to eliminate those related possibilities and to make yourself more secure.

BollWeevil said:
It could be due to other devices interfering, such as if a neighbor put up an access point on the same frequency. Or it could be due to someone stealing bandwidth or tampering with your box. Or it could be a slew of other causes. Before worrying about performance, I would highly reccommend securing your access point first in order to eliminate those related possibilities and to make yourself more secure.

Ok, so how do I go about doing this?

What wireless router are you using? Many of them are plagued by the disconnection issue right from the start, however there are things you can do about it.

Back