• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Inconsistant PPD on GTX570s

jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM x4
2FA
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
1,751
OK I have 2 OCed 570s in SLI.

Same Clocks, same WU, same client.....

so why does my second card consistently get 17KPPD and the first card consistently get 15KPPD?

and what can I do to make them both fold at 17KPPD?

 
are yo running an smp client?? on the same machine

sometimes if you do that that cpu cant feed both cards and itself fast enough resulting in one getting lower ppd
 
yes.

I'm running
2xGPU3 on the 570s
1xGPU2 on the 260
1xSMP folding A3 WU SMP 8 on the 920 (the machine is not on 24/7 so I'm not running bigadv)


I ran 2xGPU2 on a pair of 260s along with SMP A3 on my Q9650 and never saw this sort of behavior.
 
Could be cpu stealing issues. But what are your tpf? time per frames

1 second difference in my 260s results n 300+ ppd differences.
 
I have the same kind of issue on my 470's IF I leave SLI enabled. GPU utilization between both cards is just weird with the primary GPU spiking up and down but its not all the time. Usually when I first start the clients up and SLI is enabled everything appears to be okay but if I leave it for a day I usually come back to some weird results, like the kind you're seeing. If I disable SLI, I have no problems and performance between the 2 cards are nearly identical(your primary GPU will always be slightly lower than the secondary especially if you have Aero on). This is all I know from my experience. Hope it helps.
 
trying with SLI disabled......

<RANT>!@#$ disableing SLI moved ALL my !@#-!@#$ Icons..... !@#$ you windows</RANT>
 
if anything my TPF got worse.....

maybe it's Aero....

Re-enabled SLI, at least only 2 of my icons moved, but now I won't be able to test if it is Aero, I have some new WU (6801) that does not show PPD or Credit in HFM (does show TPF tho, so I could use that as both cards are folding 6801s)
 
Last edited:
It could just be the fact that you are running the monitor on it - Not sure how easy this is but try swapping the monitor to the other card and see what happens.

IIRC i had the same issue when i had my 8800gt rig - i mitigated the issue by putting the monitor onto my factory OC card so as to minimise the ppd loss. I don't have a single gpu model rig any more but perhaps someone else can confirm it on one of their's for you as well.
 
It's a couple of things:

CPU cycles...Try WinAFC to set your GPUs to high and SMP to normal or low.
Using your computer...will take GPU & CPU cycles away to render Aero and desktop.

This has always been an issue on my Sig Rig as it is my daily driver. GPU0 (hooked to monitor) is always slowest of 3x GTX285's.
 
trying WinAFC, as I always used it on my older rig with the 2x260s
 
OK I have 2 OCed 570s in SLI.

Same Clocks, same WU, same client.....

so why does my second card consistently get 17KPPD and the first card consistently get 15KPPD?

and what can I do to make them both fold at 17KPPD?


to lazy to read the other posts so ill give the answer since i know it. the reason your PPD is lower on your primary card is due to windows and aero. since your primary card is also having to render your desktop it effects your performance on the F@H client. if you were to disconnect your display and move it to the second card that one would drop to 15k PPD and the primary card would go back up to 17k PPD. its even more drastic the more displays you have. on my setup i lose 400 PPD due to 1 display and 600 PPD with 2 displays. but im also producing 1/3 of the PPD you make so the PPD loss is exponential the higher you get which is why you are losing 2k PPD.
 
I dunno what is going on,

WinAFC, No real effect
Turning off Aero, No real effect (other than to mess up Firefox 4.0b menus got really weird)

But I agree that the card that the monitor is attached to is the slower card
 
oh your using the html 5 hardware accelerated browser crap. thats your problem. go back to firefox 3.6.xx and your ppd will go up about 1000 PPD or so.
 
Card all by itself no improvement, disable Aero, no improvement...

Firefox 3.6? grumble, I suppose i can try
 
if you have the old IE8 try using that while folding. it will give you an idea if its html5 hardware accel browsing causing the problem. but the PPD difference is just something you get use to. been dealing with it for 5+ months with my cards.
 
FF3.6.12....... no significant change

I'd rather use FF 3.6 than IE Anything.
 
Back
Top