Inateck FE3001 3.5 HHD Enclosure + Seagate Ironwolf 10TB

FenFox

Limp Gawd
EDIT: Got it working now.

Just threw a new Seagate Ironwolf 10TB drive into this enclosure and plugged it in and turned it on.
The power LED on the enclosure isn't on and the HDD doesn't feel like it's turned on and I never noticed my computer installing any software.

When I go to "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" I can see "Eject ASM1153E" which is the enclosure.

But the HDD isn't added to This PC > Devices and drives.

Opened "Disk Management" and got this pop up - "Initialize Disk > You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." It shows as: Disk 3.
I can select "Master Boot Record" or "GUID Partition Table."

I'm thinking I just select GUID and hit OK, but not sure?

When I load Device Manager and look at "Storage controllers" I can see 2x USB Attached ASCI Mass Storage Device saying: Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for safe removal, but it has not been removed from the computer." Not sure if this has anything to do with my issue.

Safely Ejected ASM1153E - turned it off / unplugged and re-plugged / turned back on and now I see a green light on the enclosure and the drive feels like it's on, but still no drive added to Devices and drives.

I'm guessing I need to do something in Disk Management? Upon further investigation, "Disk 3" looks like It's the 10 TB HDD. So I assume I select GUID Partition Table?

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to format it or just assign it a drive letter.

Yeah, I needed to format it. Is there a big difference between a long and short format? I guess the long is just more thorough. Wondering because I have to format 4x more 10 TB drives and that could take a LONG TIME if I'm using long. Especially since I'm going to be checking them over with WD Data Lifeguard/SeaTools and those scans will probably take 18 hours each.

Do you know if you can format WD/Seagate drives with SeaTools/WD Data Lifeguard?

1x of these drives I'm putting in my PC and the other 4 I'm putting in my NAS, so I don't think I should be bothered with a long format for the NAS drives because the NAS will just re-format them anyway.

Edit: Also, should I have gone with exFAT over NTFS?

Last edited:
Quick format is the way to go with new drives, long format just scans each sector of the drive checking for bad areas (only moderately effective at identifying them though).

Long format will take days to complete for each drive likely. (a couple of hours per TB if sata connected)

The dedicated tools for the given drive will do a lot better job since they're designed for those drives.

Quick format is the way to go with new drives, long format just scans each sector of the drive checking for bad areas (only moderately effective at identifying them though).

Long format will take days to complete for each drive likely. (a couple of hours per TB if sata connected)

The dedicated tools for the given drive will do a lot better job since they're designed for those drives.

I ran the Long format on the 10 TB Ironwolf. Took maybe 14 hours.

I'll just do short format from now on and do a long scan for bad sectors with WD Datalifeguard or Seatools afterward.

I noticed when using SeaTools (with my internal 10TB Ironwolf in a USB 3.0 enclosure) that the drive was listed twice.
Same model number, but a different Serial Number. One under "SAS-SCSI-FC" and the other under "USB-1394" I think It's just registering the drive twice due to the external enclosure controller.

I should be fine to scan either one?

Back