Inaccessible Bios on Notebook

foxslink

n00b
I'm trying to format a notebook that was infected with malware and has network issues, the problem is that I can’t access the BIOS with an external keyboard (since the notebook keyboard is not working). I went to Recovery from Windows Settings, and I ran “Reset This PC” and it didn’t work, it reached 100% but then it undid all progress and it forced to restart.

Then I connected a bootable USB with W10 and went to Startup > restart now> Troubleshooting> Advanced Options > boot from USB, but it did nothing. I tried both UEFI bootable USB and using just the ISO file on the USB.

So I had no other option than formatting the disk using Diskpart and cleaning all partitions, hoping that this would make it possible to boot from the USB. However, when I tried to do this it wouldn’t let me boot into the BIOS and it reads the following: “All boot options are tried. Press F4 key to recover with factory image using Recovery or any other keys for next boot loop iteration”. I pressed F4 and nothing happened.

To sum up the external keyboard doesn’t seem to work and I can’t enter the BIOS, even when I tried using several F keys with 3 different keyboards. Do I need to buy a new notebook keyboard?

Notebook Model: Samsung 870z5g/880z5f

It’s very strange the usb keyboard will not work. I’ve used them on 10+ year old laptops to enter bios. I suspect if that’s true you have something else that is faulty or going on.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-get-into-bios-in-windows-10-bios-setup-pc-guide/

I just had to use this method for a laptop that was in SUPERFASTBOOTMODE+!!!1` The first one on the list, through Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > "Restart now" > "Advanced Options" > "UEFI Firmware Settings."

ETA: There's a key combo for it, too, but I don't remember what it is. It's something silly like holding shift while clicking restart from a logged in Windows account with priviledges.

Yeah, I just tried it, it's holding down shift while clicking restart. Don't let go until it restarts in the recovery mode. Then "Advanced Options" > "UEFI Firmware Settings."

Another option that might work for you is a program called "ASRock Restart to UEFI."

Last edited:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-get-into-bios-in-windows-10-bios-setup-pc-guide/

I just had to use this method for a laptop that was in SUPERFASTBOOTMODE+!!!1` The first one on the list, through Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > "Restart now" > "Advanced Options" > "UEFI Firmware Settings."

ETA: There's a key combo for it, too, but I don't remember what it is. It's something silly like holding shift while clicking restart from a logged in Windows account with priviledges.

Yeah, I just tried it, it's holding down shift while clicking restart. Don't let go until it restarts in the recovery mode. Then "Advanced Options" > "UEFI Firmware Settings."

Another option that might work for you is a program called "ASRock Restart to UEFI."
he already wiped the os so that will not work.

When i press the power button the Samsung logo appears for a few seconds then it shows a black screen with the following text : “All boot options are tried. Press F4 key to recover with factory image using Recovery or any other keys for next boot loop iteration”. However F4 doesn't do anything. Notebook owner told me that he spilled coffee on the notebook keyboard some time ago and it hasn't worked since so he just used an external keyboard. Im thinking that i should open up the bottom of the notebook to disconnect the internal keyboard cable, it might be already disconnected for all i know. This Notebook was already disassembled by someone else before and they clearly didn't do a good job at it, there are some small gaps on the side of frame so its not closing up properly and god knows what else they did wrong inside. Im afraid disassembling myself for i might no be able to reassemble and close it up again.

As a last resort id have to remove the HDD and install on another PC to install windows

As a last resort id have to remove the HDD and install on another PC to install windows
that is also an option. 10/11 transplant between hardware really easily. but F2 is the bios key. turn it on and start jamming on it. if it doesn work, try disconnecting the internal keyboard.

Unplug it, remove the main battery, disconnect or remove the CMOS battery, and it should reset the BIOS to default.

I disassembled the notebook and disconnected the CMOS battery and the main battery to reset the BIOS but it did not work, so I had to remove the drive from the notebook and I mount it on an external case, then I connected it via USB to another PC then a message pops up asking to choose between MBR or GPT, I selected GPT, but the drive did still not open , so I checked disk management and it says that the disk is unallocated and I cant create a simple volume, I also cant assign a letter and it won’t let me format it, however using Diskpart on CMD the drive is listed as online. Does this mean that disk is faulty? Is it possible to repair it and install W10? Just you so know the disk was already formatted using Diskpart before I removed it from its place.

I disassembled the notebook and disconnected the CMOS battery and the main battery to reset the BIOS but it did not work, so I had to remove the drive from the notebook and I mount it on an external case, then I connected it via USB to another PC then a message pops up asking to choose between MBR or GPT, I selected GPT, but the drive did still not open , so I checked disk management and it says that the disk is unallocated and I cant create a simple volume, I also cant assign a letter and it won’t let me format it, however using Diskpart on CMD the drive is listed as online. Does this mean that disk is faulty? Is it possible to repair it and install W10? Just you so know the disk was already formatted using Diskpart before I removed it from its place.
Windows should be able to create partitions if it has an empty GPT or MBR, dunno why it's complaining. Might be because it sees it as a removable disk...windows doesn't like that iirc.

if there is nothing on it, make sure it is the only drive connected and the diskpart>select disk *>clean and it will wipe it out and you should be able to start fresh.

I had nothing but bad luck trying to use a hard drive from an old satellite receiver. I had the same results as you in windows. Booted from a Linux usb and the drive was there, partition intact.

Not saying you will see a drive intact, but with my scenario, the minute I formatted it in Linux to a more windows friendly format, windows saw it and gave it a drive letter.

Back