• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

In-Win Q500 nostalgia

volve

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
187
Remember this bad boy? :) It's so useless inside compared to today's nice cases. I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions? Does anyone even use In-Win cases any more?

Side:
q500_side.jpg



Back:
q500_back.jpg



Internal:
q500_internal.jpg
 
I just got a case like that one but its a little different as it has a top lid i really havent had much time to play around with it. Im putting a old (p3 900mhz) dual processor server board in it. Im thinking with some modding it would look great. Paid 25 for mine with a P3 900Mhz in it dont know if its working (like i said havent played with it yet.)
 
@Thanatos:

The top piece does actually slide off too. It's how you can swap the external 3.5" bay where the floppy is.

It's definitely a pretty solid case, it just can't hold any drives really and there's lots of wasted space.

I'm curious to see yours. Got any photos at all? 25 for a P3 900 with case isn't bad I suppose! :)
 
25 isnt bad at all, i actually bought it simply for the case. The Dual processor board i got was free and needed a home.
EDIT: PICS
q500acq7.jpg


q500bdr2.jpg


q500ctc1.jpg


q500dio3.jpg



And what i thought about doing to the case. I already have the LCD (modded Gamecube LCD) I just need to finish it.
conceptao6.jpg
 
I actually have one of EACH of those. The newer one with the slim top is ready to be removed from duty for customizing as a server. Right now it's my wife's computer and has been my main case for eight years! I bought a Thermaltake 120mm cooled drive bay and am going to mod it to fit flush in the front with MNPCtech hex mesh and a stainless surround hopefully. I want to get it powdercoated but I don't have the cash, so I may try painting my first case instead. I am going to do a little less than your pic, just dual 120's punched out where the 80's are and some other mild stuff.

The thick top is the older model and I got that for free. I wanted to put a water loop in, and actually picked up a bonneville heater core and was going to use the top compartment as a fan barrier blowing through a hole in the lid with dual 120's. I still may, but I can't afford the parts for the loop at this point.

It's still a great case and was the first one I ever owned with a removable mobo tray. I plan on using mine for a long time to come as long as ATX is a standard.
 
@Thanatos:

Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to see when you've finished.

I never knew they made a newer version - weird! It still has a lot of wasted space though which is a shame. I have more than enough drives that could fit in such a large case but there's simply nowhere to put them!
 
Had one of each myself, still have one in the garage. The thicker top is the original Q500. The thin top is the Q500N, which is also an inch or so deeper and had much better cooling. Big problem I had with the cases was the hard drive cage. Even with smaller boards, the hard drives ended up hanging over the board and in the way. Friend of mine has my Q500 right now and uses the 5.25" bays for hard drives because there's just not enough room in the lower part.

Thanatos. Here are a few pics of a 5.6" LCD in my Q500 from back in 2000. Never made it past the carboard frame, though.
 
I use an In-Win S500 case as my main. I've had it since my socket 370 days and it's still a solid case. Nothing fancy about it but it's functional.
 
I still have that case. The Q500 version. It's very solid. I houses my HTPC currently. Does the job and is fairly quiet. The only drawback to the case as stated above is the drive cage can be a pain in the ass.
 
Back
Top