In the name of upgrading for the heck of it...

delvryboy

2[H]4U
Would it be worth it to go from the Q6600 to a 9550 or 9650, everything in my sig the same?

I'm getting that itch but I'm not looking to dump $700 + on an i7 build right now.

Yes!

You may not notice any difference but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that if you ran a benchmark, it would show up

Plus you would be saving the environment\economy\truthjusticeandtheamericanway

I don't see it being very satisfying when you know you could have an i7

if you're feeling the itch now maybe there is another component you could upgrade that might do more for you, like a better monitor?

Personally I just take pleasure in being thrifty, and indulge only when there is an *amazing* deal available

i5 or i7, no need to waste money on a S775 CPU anymore if you already have a Q6600, if it was a dual then a 9550 would be a holdover CPU until i5 is here.
As long as you run Multi-GPU then a i7 is a given thing that will give you gain in realgames, not just benchmarks.

Would it be worth it to go from the Q6600 to a 9550 or 9650, everything in my sig the same?

I'm getting that itch but I'm not looking to dump $700 + on an i7 build right now.

Don't know, but I just did it this weekend.

I had run my q6600 at 3.0Ghz stock voltage and hadn't pushed it.

I put in the Q9650 at 3.6Ghz stock voltage and haven't pushed it.

Frees up the Q6600 to replace an E6600 and frees the E6600 to sit on a shelf.

I did a Q6700 to Q9650 upgrade for the heck of it. But I don't pay rent and I'm not that thrifty so whatever. But video encoding speed has definitely improved by about 33%. It depends on what you use your computer for. I'm not planning on moving to i7 for another year so I may as well get the most out of this platform until it's necessary. Of course, how often is it ever "necessary" for most of us :)

I did a Q6700 to Q9650 upgrade for the heck of it. But I don't pay rent and I'm not that thrifty so whatever. But video encoding speed has definitely improved by about 33%. It depends on what you use your computer for. I'm not planning on moving to i7 for another year so I may as well get the most out of this platform until it's necessary. Of course, how often is it ever "necessary" for most of us :)

Your rig and mine are almost the same from cpu to case, but anyway i would think it would be worth the jump. I was gonna go with an I7 setup but i'm more of a casual gamer......i just do alot of multitasking. I couldn't even think of letting go of my Asus Max II Formula because that thing is a beast!

Exactly...honestly, if my ip35 pro hadn't died a couple months back, I may have considered going to an i7 but at the time I needed another board. But I love this Maximus II Formula board. And when I finally move from #25 in the eVGA step-up queue and get my GTX 295, I'll be good to go for 2009. BTW, evga's coming out w/ a volt mod utility for eVGA GTX 2** cards soon.

Back