In The Market For A Desktop Replacement - Part 2

This is the follow up to this thread I created. However, since the parameters have changed quite a bit, I have decided to create a new thread here. Though I will not object if Mods think they should be merged.

Anyways, I did get the job offer... and will be leaving at the beginning of January. I do not expect to be able to use ANY PC for the first few months... and then there will be a few months that my desktop will probably be packed up and in storage, awaiting my first semi-permanent location. So, I will probably need to buy something soon... probably before I depart.

(those of you who have been through this probably knows what I will be doing... but since that is OT, I will not elaborate here :-P )

Here are the 2 model configs that I am eyeing. I will list the final (post-exchange, post-taxes, post-shipping) prices on top, including all the upgrade parts I am adding. Also, I will highlight the key config differences that are advantageous to one model or the other.

#1: MSI GT75 Titan - $4508CAD
  • Intel i7-8750H 6C/12T 2.2-4.1GHz
  • GTX 1080
  • 32GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • 17.3in TN 120Hz 1080p
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 1TB
  • generic 7200RPM SATA HDD 1TB
  • Steel Series mechanical keyboard
#2: OriginPC EON17-X - $4887CAD
  • Intel i7-8700 6C/12T 3.2-4.6GHz
  • GTX 1080
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • 17.3in IPS 144Hz G-Sync 1080p + calibration
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 500GB
  • Seagate Firecuda SSHD Hybrid SATA HDD 1TB
  • standard laptop keyboard
To summarize, the extra $380 buys me the desktop CPU as opposed to the mobile part. The rest of the differences are probably "pushes", and probably will not make or break the deal.

Which one will you pick?

I also thought about waiting for Turing parts to show up... but, even the current hardware issues notwithstanding, even just looking at the respective die sizes and power consumption, the 10-series is probably more suitable for laptops. So, I will probably not bother to wait for that.

Origin is a re branded Clevo. If you're truly looking for a desktop replacement, then out of these two, that's the way to go. Highly recommend flashing a Prema bios once you receive it.

Origin is a re branded Clevo. If you're truly looking for a desktop replacement, then out of these two, that's the way to go.
Yeah, I've been looking for Clevo resellers / builders here in Canada, and I think I found a good one:

Eurocom Sky X7C - $4465 CAD
  • Intel i7-8700 6C/12T 3.2-4.6GHz
  • GTX 1080
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • 17.3in IPS 144Hz G-Sync 1080p + calibration
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 1TB
  • Seagate Firecuda SSHD Hybrid SATA HDD 2TB
  • standard laptop keyboard
A lot the savings is down to Eurocom being in Ottawa ON with no footprint here where I am in BC, so I will only have to pay 5% GST as federal sales tax. As opposed to 12% for the local product such as the MSI, or duty + possibly more taxes for the Origin coming from the US . The price I listed above for the Eurocom also includes me buying the 970 EVO locally, and then I will need to do some work installing it + cloning the Windows over. Still comes out cheaper, though, and I think that is the way to go for me!

I think you made the right choice. You will be amazed at how much you can modify these things if you wanted to. Here soon I am thinking about a new motherboard and 8700k upgrade to my Sager. I don't think we will be seeing any new high end mobile GPU offerings any time soon with the issues Nvidia is having with the RTX.

My 6700k is undervolted and overclocked 24/7, along with my 1080 and fans hardly spin at 25% allowing it to stay quiet. Prema bios allowing all of this of course.

Went by the computer shop today, because no matter which model I pick up and when, I needed to buy these, even though only the Mouse was technically "Black Friday":

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - $369 CAD

Logitech G502 (same one I use on my desktop) - $56 CAD

Both after taxes.

The MSI Titan is also listed with a bit of a discount, $300 CAD off. I still do not think that is enough to overcome the Eurocom's advantage in saving 7% sales tax + actual desktop CPU. So, I asked for cheaper, and understandably they could not do it.

Oh well, but probably good for me in the end!

Now, 8700 non-K or 9700K...? I am mostly concerned with thermals, as I want this purchase to last for awhile.

Attachments

• 20181123_152154.jpg
    20181123_152154.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
If you spend that kind of money on a laptop make sure the screen is IPS. That MSI titan laptop should be a crime to spec like that and then throw in a TN panel. I know it is high refresh but still at that price.

Yeah man Clevo's are awesome. I have a Clevo P150EM from 2012 that I still use, in fact I am using it right now. I wish the physical build quality was a bit better (more like HP/Dell business series machines) but as far as the rest of it goes it's great. Still a pretty potent machine tbh. Not sure about the build quality of the latest Clevo's, they might better now, and it's not like this one is bad or anything, but it's definitely a step down from those business series laptops, although the tradeoff is FAR more customizability. My machine has held up really well over the past 6 years though, but I am pretty careful with it, heh.

I just placed the order with Eurocom. Emailed their sales team with some configuration questions, and also noted that they are doing a Name Your Own Discount promo for Black Friday.

Got 10% off, which then I spent on better components... as one does :p

Here is what I ordered:

Eurocom Sky X7C
  • Intel i7-9700K
  • GTX 1080
  • Grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease for both CPU and GPU
  • 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 CL16, 2x8GB
  • 17.3in IPS 144Hz G-Sync 1080p + calibration profile saved onto USB
  • Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD
  • Intel Wireless-AC 9260
  • Windows 10 Home with USB
  • Targus Voyager backpack
  • Targus Defcon CL security cable
The OS will be installed by them onto the Firecuda, so they can get all the drivers in and calibration done. Once the computer arrives, then I will stick in the 970 EVO and then clone / image the boot drive content onto it. Reboot, change the boot drive in BIOS, reassign drive letters, then format the Firecuda to use it as the media drive. More work on my end, but the 970 EVO should be worth it....

I just picked up an Alienware m15 as a desktop replacement. Haven't received it yet, should be in next week. But it definitely should fit the bill. I pretty much maxed every spec but the NVMe drive as I already have a 1TB 970 Pro to swap in.

I just picked up an Alienware m15 as a desktop replacement. Haven't received it yet, should be in next week. But it definitely should fit the bill. I pretty much maxed every spec but the NVMe drive as I already have a 1TB 970 Pro to swap in.

FYI the MAX Q is about 10% Slower (sometimes 17% or more in benchmarks) than the standard 1070...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-GTX-1070-Laptop_8008_7364.247598.0.html

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1070-Mobile-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070-Max-Q

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-1070-mobile-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070-Max-Q

I sent my inquiries on the evening of Friday the 23rd... got my answers in the morning of Saturday the 24th..
placed the order that afternoon..
order processed and credit card charged on Monday the 26th... product completed and shipped, UPS tracking number received on Wednesday the 28th... and will be delivered tomorrow Friday the 30th!

Here is what I got:

Capture+_2018-11-28-12-12-19.png

One key difference from what I was able to build on their configurator, is that I picked 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (Vengeance, I guess?) for the RAM. Instead, they built it with 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4-3200 as a "free upgrade".

Also, the "unlocked BIOS" is supposed to be an extra cost add-on, which I also was not charged for.

I just picked this up, with 5% off coupon and another 5% off on amazon store card it came to a little under $1600 which is an absolute screamer of a deal for a full desktop r7 2700 and vega56.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWX5X26

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back